Rebuild DVD?

Like it says above.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Rebuild DVD?

Post by railroad bob »

I have an Evo motor I would like to rebuild, and I think I would like to get a DVD specific to that.
I've seen some for tuning and service, not looking for any of that.
If anyone can recommend a DVD like this or knows of of one, I would like to hear about it.

I haven't opened the motor yet, and I suspect the work will be limited to the top end, BUT..
Ya never know. I have a service manual for my 91 FXR, and there is a lot of info there, but not in-depth rebuild info.

This 96" motor has Delkron cases, Branch modified heads, S&S Super E carb, HI-4 ign, Andrews cam, Axtell 3-13/16" cast iron jugs,
stock wheel assm and rods (stock stroke), and some other goodies in the motor and parts drawers.
Very cool air cleaner given to me by Buellfun (Chris), which I still owe him a big favor for.
So I would like to get this fun ride back on the road. I have a roller for it, not everything, but the big items,
frame, springer, bars, saddle, 6 spd tranny, wheels and tires, rotors, oil bag, and misc small parts here and there.
Don't have any primary stuff, so may go with an open belt drive, but open to suggestions.

Here in Alaska, motorcycles are titled by the frame number, and I have a MSO for the frame and tranny.
The motor evolved when it was originally in my 91 FXR, and when I had mechanical problems with it, I replaced it with an Ultima 113" motor.

For those wondering, I love the Ultima, has 120/120 torque and HP numbers. I have maybe 4000 miles on it now,
including 1400 this past October in New Mexico for a couple of weeks. The only issues to date: the rubber boot connecting the stator (? the alternator part with the coil windings)
to the regulator fried, causing a replacement of the stator. Also, the top motor mount/coil mount cracked, and needs replacement. I'll do that next time I'm in NM. I suspect a mis-alignment or poor adjustment when the motor was installed. Never seemed to have excessive vibration tho, BUT, it is a rubber mount. I'll need to check that when I change the mount.

That being said, I've always loved the 96" motor, has very respectable HP/Torque seat of the pants feel. Has not been dyno tested in current configuration, but last test got around 80 HP. That was years ago tho, and several changes have been made since. I'm hoping to get close to 100 HP with a quality rebuild. We'll see.

Since I have a lot of other things going on, namely looking for work, this is back burner, so don't look for a lot of progress. I'll post anything of course, especially any motor work.

Thanks, Bob
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL

Return to “Motors, Transmissions, & Drive Systems”