Custom made engines

Like it says above.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Custom made engines

Post by gearhead1951 »

I've had this notion crawling around in my mind for a long time now and thought I'd throw it out for comment !

I saw a build in "Back Street Heroes" that consisted of a 550 suzuki top end and a custom cast all alloy set of cases split horizontally to create and "Indian/Henderson" looking bike with a goldwing trans !

I was thinking about something similar using cylinders and heads from a VW beetle engine and the same kind of cases as the above , (beetle flat 4 engines and Indian inline 4 engines were 1300 and 1340 cc's respectively) !

A trans from a transverse engined shaft driven jap bike would provide the right angle 1 to 1 drive needed to give it a chain driven rear wheel !

What do ya'll think !!
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Re: Custom made engines

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

gearhead1951 wrote:
I saw a build in "Back Street Heroes" that consisted of a 550 suzuki top end and a custom cast all alloy set of cases split horizontally to create and "Indian/Henderson" looking bike with a goldwing trans
Do you have a link to go with this?
Neo Dutch
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Intereseted in all thing motorcycling, particularly modifications folk do to their bikes. Admire quality design and workmanship. Not so keen on bolt-on parts, but they have their place in the world. Not everyone can be a master machinist, welder or spray painter, but that won't stop me from trying. Great admirer of master engravers and have been working hard for several years to improve my skills in this most difficult of crafts. Also enjoy pin striping, and am fairly good at it.
Favourite food is Spam. Here's some good recipes www.pinheadlounge.com/neodutch . Kill Flanders.

Post by Neo Dutch »

This one?

The tell tale tickle of ashphalt on the sagging underbelly of my lowered expectations.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

Yeah , thats it ! I remember that poorly designed and out of phase driveshaft ! That thing must vibrate tike tuning fork !
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

i like the front end
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

That thing must vibrate tike tuning fork !
Nah...

agreed that front end is nice. .......what is it?
gearhead1951
Builder

Post by gearhead1951 »

that front end is a "schwinn bicycle" type ! The first ever front suspension on a pedal bike and it handles like it too !

I aint knocking the level of craftmanship overall , but it is a letdown when glaring mistakes are overlooked before unveiling a custom like this ! ( and yes , if that driveshaft aint an optical illusion then at speed those out of phase yokes would cause an extremely annoying and destructive vibration)
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

with only the one pic to go from it looks like the spring shock setup might be too small and probly could be hidden a little but i bet some playing arround could get it right but remember most magazine bikes dont get ridden only shown and only special people like most of the ones on this site even realize how little they could be ridden but they do sell magazines and even spark a few ideas for people like us to figure out how to make em work
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Obviously built more for looks, with limited function....

Very good looking tho and can be ridden, so succeeds in their goal.

The tranny/driveshaft reminds me of the early Beemers, but I believe they had a better angle, almost straight.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Post by sleepyonthree »

gearhead1951 wrote:-snippage-
I was thinking about something similar using cylinders and heads from a VW beetle engine and the same kind of cases as the above , (beetle flat 4 engines and Indian inline 4 engines were 1300 and 1340 cc's respectively) !
-snippage-
What do ya'll think !!

What do you have in mind for a crank and cam ??
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
gearhead1951
Builder

Post by gearhead1951 »

I think that there should a good few potential doners for crank & cam , just have to sort thru the scrapyards for an auto engine with the desired bore spacing and go from there !

Remember , the cases are going to be a new casting and the best way forward would be to design the cases to accept the parts chosen instead of trying to make them fit after you cast it !

I saw a VW cylinder head cut into two individual heads and modified to work on an antique V twin to convert it to OHV , what I envision would involve some modification of the heads but not quite THAT much !!
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

I have seen VW engines where 2 fired and 2 were used as a compressor....
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

I've seen plans for that. Thinking of building one. Small homebuilt airplanes use 1/2 vw engines sometimes.
We can do anything, impossible just takes longer.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

gearhead1951 wrote:
A trans from a transverse engined shaft driven jap bike would provide the right angle 1 to 1 drive needed to give it a chain driven rear wheel !
How do you get a tranny from a shaft drive bike to convert to chain drive?
(just showing my ignorance!!! :confusion-shrug: )
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
gearhead1951
Builder

Post by gearhead1951 »

Suzuki and kawasaki both made such engine/trans combos , they use a right angle drive either off of the crank to engage the trans or off of the trans countershaft to engage the shaft !

A lot of the dieselbike builders seem to like that right angle drive to place at the rear wheel if they use the auto transaxle that came with the engine they chose !

If you are interested go to www.dieselbike.net and have a look around

Return to “Motors, Transmissions, & Drive Systems”