Bike broke.... grinding noise...!!

Like it says above.
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Bike broke.... grinding noise...!!

Post by yona »

This was loose ... took it off with 2 fingers.... thanks Big Jim for he manual link !!
16.jpg
16.jpg (12.33 KiB) Viewed 4991 times
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Re: Bike broke.... grinding noise...!!

Post by railroad bob »

compensator sprocket, bummer Yona. Any damage? or was it just loose?
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

Just loose..... gona clean it, put locktite on it and tighten her back up. Got to find a 1 1/2" socket...just part of owning something built by someone else....
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Its great you could fix it yourself.
Jim Sawyer
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 25,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it

Post by Jim Sawyer »

That happened to mine once, but it was more of a knocking noise.
I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 71,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Those can be a PITA to torque, with the chain still on and without specialty tools. I used wood wedges between the chain and the clutch to keep it from spinning.
Better ways, I'm sure, but it worked. That was years ago, and no problems since.
TANSTAAFL
yona
Conventioneer

Post by yona »

Bob, it took 2 of us ..... and we used an old plastic piece off the chain guide,put it in fifth gear and stood on the rear brake.... local wrench told me to go to 100 ft lbs, back off one turn and go to 165 ft lbs..... that last pull was a bitch !!!!!! but it's done .... benn sitting for a month or two, and it puke a lot of oil out of the crankcase... guess I need to check the pump check ball and seat ..... oh, the fun of a Harley...LOL
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Yep, know just what you mean. My rear rocker cover is seeping oil onto everything below and behind it. Leaving town tomorrow for about a week, and I'll be busy with a building addition after that, so who knows when I'll be able to work on it.
A rear shock is leaking, but they are Konis, so I was able to order a rebuild kit for about $70. Replacement shocks were around 350-400, depending on how much chrome.
A Harley rider's work is never done...
TANSTAAFL
yona
Conventioneer

Post by yona »

Up-date on this Tightened the compensator nut changed all fluids and checked everything else....been riding the stink out of it ... really likes the mid-grade octane....really ... lol .... want to put on my extended risers, change to new clutch cable and remove the chrome steel cover so I can get to the ignition .... and install one of the custom point covers that Jaxon made me..... tires a little dry rotted.... will look for some new shoes over the winter.... longest ride was over 350 miles and I checked them often... had a lot of tread.... just set to long...

Return to “Motors, Transmissions, & Drive Systems”