New HD Evo or S&S for hardtail

Like it says above.
Cycle-psycho
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I've loved motorcycles all my life! I have a 2006 Dyna that ive been customizing and I am now taking on the task of building a custom chopper!
I have some mechanical skills, but im not a professional mechanic or welder. Simply a home garage type of mechanic.

New HD Evo or S&S for hardtail

Post by Cycle-psycho »

I am building a custom hardtail on a budget and i see that i can get a new stock Evo engine from HD for about $3800 Canadian. I know S and S is an awesome engine, but they are expensive, and im looking for opinions from everyone about using a stock Evo? In a light hardtail, will the low horsepower be made up by the lighter weight? I know i can hype out the Evo over time to get more horses as i get the cash. Just want to make sure its not a super bad decision.
Thoughts?
-----------------
Cycle-psycho
2006 Dyna - with lots of goodies
2012 Ultima rigid - under construction
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Re: New HD Evo or S&S for hardtail

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

I'm not much on "low ET'S" between red lights. I like reliable and cruising. I wouldn't want a radical engine.

Last year I was in Bellingham , Wa., ; an evo shortblock was abt. $2800. US.
BIGJIM
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am not a bum. I'm a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.

Post by BIGJIM »

EVO motors are tried and true and you can't beat the price.
For what you save, you can add HP later.

Or, save your dough up and go Old School Cool,100hp Shovel!
http://www.spchoppers.com/
And he's Canadian!
Tell him Big Jim sent ya!
Cycle-psycho
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I've loved motorcycles all my life! I have a 2006 Dyna that ive been customizing and I am now taking on the task of building a custom chopper!
I have some mechanical skills, but im not a professional mechanic or welder. Simply a home garage type of mechanic.

Post by Cycle-psycho »

Anyone know how long the warranty is on a new Evo? Im assuming its not that long if it is used in a chopper versus a regular HD.
-----------------
Cycle-psycho
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Where is your closest HD dealer?
Cycle-psycho
NewB

Post by Cycle-psycho »

Oh, I know...just go and ask!

Just weekend thinking, and since the web site isn't very clear about warranties, that I can find, I thought Id throw it out there.

I'll just have to make a visit to the local HD dealer during my work day (sigh)!
-----------------
Cycle-psycho
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

This is the dealership I referred to. They were good to deal with. (360) 671-7575

http://www.mtbakerharley.com/canadian-h ... travelers/
joechop
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: engineer working in construction industry and living outside of Pittsburgh PA. I recently completed my first build and hopefully more to come. officially started a side business for v-twin restomods... Vadori Designs.

Post by joechop »

You prob don't want to pay this much, but I have a line on a brand new (still in crate) TP121 engine (polished, Mikuni HRS carb, Eldebrock Intake and I'm guessing electronic ignition as well - that's typically how they shipped them). These things go for arond $6900... sale for $5k USD + shipping. The guy who has it won't leave me alone.

joe
Cycle-psycho
NewB

Post by Cycle-psycho »

After looking into it a bit more, I think I will go with the S&S 96". It comes with carb, air cleaner, ignition, manifold, and is a better engine. By the time I buy the HD Evo and kit it out with those parts, its only slightly less than the S&S.
The other thing is the EVO doesn't have ANY warranty!! The S&S comes with a two year warranty, even if I install it. HD will only give a one year if they install it, which isn't going to happen!
-----------------
Cycle-psycho
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Who would you buy buy the S&S from , and how much?
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Cycle-psycho wrote:I am building a custom hardtail on a budget and i see that i can get a new stock Evo engine from HD for about $3800 Canadian. I know S and S is an awesome engine, but they are expensive, and im looking for opinions from everyone about using a stock Evo? In a light hardtail, will the low horsepower be made up by the lighter weight? I know i can hype out the Evo over time to get more horses as i get the cash. Just want to make sure its not a super bad decision.
Thoughts?
I bought a 91 Evo in 1993, put it on a dyno first summer I had it. Stock was 57HP.
Changing to an Andrews EV-46 cam, S&S Super E, Thunderheaders and a Screaming Eagle ignition module netted about 75HP.
Noticeable seat of the pants difference.

Personally, I like HP and torque. I got lucky and when I needed a replacement, wound up getting an Ultima 113CI when on sale for $3600 with a one year warranty, free shipping to lower 48 location.
They advertise 120HP and 120 Ft Lbs Torque, rear wheel.
It is definitely much stronger than the previous 96CI motor.
I can always find a use for more power. If it was me, I would get the baddest motor I could pay for, with a warranty.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL

Return to “Motors, Transmissions, & Drive Systems”