Too much Carb...

Like it says above.
Dragstews
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Build, ride and blow-up a few bikes over the years....
Love the Harleys most of all, had many kinds, once I bought a new Harley back in 83.
Was a keeper... But another love popped up and trader her off for the keeper I have now...

Run a small shop in central Fl. Pretty much just do motor work, like doing stroke's and Big Bores... But do the run of the mill stuff to keep the rent paid...

Too much Carb...

Post by Dragstews »

Been building this motor for about a year and just about got it done.
Building it for a fellow that has picked the parts on how he wants it to look...

The carb was his choice, along with the dual fuel bowls..
The bowls made for a super long spacer to be used to get room past the pushrods.

Now the dang thing is sticking out really far from the motor....

[URL=http://s279.photobucket.com/user/d ... .jpg[/img][/url]

He wants to run a S&S air stack with the S&S Mushroom cover, but don't want it to be 2-1/2 plus the Mushroom adding to the length....

Told me to cut 1.5" off of the air horn.... And install the Bird deflector....

Would like to get it this close to the carb,,,,But kinda hate to cut up a new S&S air stack to do it....

I have seen some air stacks that are a 1-1/2" long... Tried to order one, but was told they are out of stock...

If anyone has one of those critters, I would like to buy/trade for it....

Thanks ....
Jesse
Dragstews
NewB
Love the Harleys most of all, had many kinds, once I bought a new Harley back in 83.
Was a keeper... But another love popped up and trader her off for the keeper I have now...

Run a small shop in central Fl. Pretty much just do motor work, like doing stroke's and Big Bores... But do the run of the mill stuff to keep the rent paid...

Re: Too much Carb...

Post by Dragstews »

Forgot to say that we are going to run a Morris Snap Mag....

That might make the carb not look so long being the Mag is kinda large too....

budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

that is one seriously nice look' engine, Jesse. i feel your pain with the carb hanging out there. i've got a pair of Mikuni 36 VMs hanging off the side of mine that stick out just a bit more than i might like, but it's a livable situation. plus, it makes sure my air cleaners stay on, LOL.

take care,
-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Dragstews
NewB

Post by Dragstews »

Cool.... Thanks.

Guess I'll go ahead and start cutting on the S&S air stack....

Haven't had any luck finding the super shorty....
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

I don't see why it would be that much more complicated to just fabricate a new one that fits lke you need it to !??
Dragstews
NewB

Post by Dragstews »

Guess it would be about the same amount of work either way of going about it....

This is the idea I have in the works of making...

The made up Bell ring will also have the mounts made on to mount the S&S Mushroom Cover...
Will weld on the Bell Ring to the S&S cut down air stack....
Giving it the one piece look...
joe49
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Been on the CBH since 04 been on bikes since 68 'nuff said............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Post by joe49 »

:text-threadjacked: HIJACK GOOD TO SEE YOU HERE. jESSE.
Dragstews
NewB

Post by Dragstews »

Thanks.... Glad to be here.... :dance:

Got the Mushroom/Air Stack made up...

Think it's a much better custom look over what S&S used for mounts back in the day...

Took some time to pull off, but do think the effort was well worth it...

budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

looking slick! that is a nice idea and clean implementation.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
Dragstews
NewB

Post by Dragstews »

Much Thanks, Dan

Had the Tom Terrific thinking cap on making this work...

Machined a internal groove in what remained of the S&S Air-stack, got a .050 ridge for the adapter to snap into...

Think I can get away with using some Two Ton Epoxy and for-go the welding... :pray:
gasketscraper
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Long time Member, but been out of touch for a while. Been building and riding since my early teens. I work in Alaska for half the year, reside in Seattle the other half. Turn wrenches, weld and fabricate for a living in the Commercial Marine Industry. Have 3 bikes under construction and several riders. Harleys, Nortons and an Indian scout. Enjoy the talent of the individuals on this site!

Post by gasketscraper »

Damn, that looks great, but how much clearance is there for Air Flow? In the pict. it looks Tite!
Dragstews
NewB

Post by Dragstews »

A little over 3/4" ....

That is at the outside edge of the air horn, the Mushroom cover curls into the horn.
It just about keeps the 3/4" all the way into the horn...

This being an EL at stock bore (+ .060) and stroke, should be enough to get it to 5,500 rpm's.... I Hope.. :pray:

He wanted it tight..... That's what he got.. :D
Dragstews
NewB

Post by Dragstews »

That was the last piece of the doing on this motor....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/ ... e762b8f7fe

Building up a shipping crate to get it to the owner.
Got a long trip ahead of it ....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/ ... aaa975b664]

Going to keep an eye on tracking the Cargo Vessel at sea...

https://www.marinetraffic.com/

Hoping that it gets nowhere close to the Bermuda Triangle ...!!! .. :twisted: ..

Return to “Motors, Transmissions, & Drive Systems”