Ultima 6 speed RSD belt to chain help needed

Like it says above.
smnmuller907
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi my name's Simon. Journeyman Sheet metal worker /welder / fabricator. Lots of metal fabrication experience I'm hoping to carry over into Motorcycles. just starting my journey into chopper building.purchased a donor bike and am starting a build from the frame up. (ambitious i know). 80" evo, 280 rear, Ultima RSD transmission, Ultima 3.375 primary, DNA springer front end.

Ultima 6 speed RSD belt to chain help needed

Post by smnmuller907 »

Hey guys looking for some information on converting from a belt drive to a chain. I'm in the process of building a frame and just figured out I'm all f'd up. I just realized he old POS death trap frame that came with the bike i bought had the rear section offset to allow for the belt alignment with the wide rear tire. when I set the jig up I made everything Center line. Now I'm about 7/8" off to one side with the rear tire when I mock the wheel up. I feel sick to my stomach to get this far and see this mistake. I have an ultima 6 speed RSD with a 1" belt drive. The rear pulley is taking up 1-1/4" of room and I'm thinking that if I go to chain I can hopefully get things centered up. what would you guys do? am i on the right track? I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to the mechanical side of the build yet, but am excited to learn! Thanks in advance for any guidance here.
Attachments
20151114_141545_resized.pdf
(1.07 MiB) Downloaded 156 times
20151114_133342_resized.pdf
(2.26 MiB) Downloaded 144 times
20151114_133259_resized.pdf
(2.19 MiB) Downloaded 138 times
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Re: Ultima 6 speed RSD belt to chain help needed

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

I AM THOWING THIS IN FOR A VISUAL AID?!
I AM THOWING THIS IN FOR A VISUAL AID?!
CHB.JPG (53.86 KiB) Viewed 4451 times
Your pics are pretty big.
I have an ultima 6 speed LSD; but not a wide tire frame; but I will try to help.

The way you state it is.........."" Now I'm about 7/8" off to one side with the rear tire when I mock the wheel up."". Do you have room to shift the wheel.?

Are you running an open primary or enclosed chain drive.?

http://www.chopperhandbook.com/widetire.htm
smnmuller907
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi my name's Simon. Journeyman Sheet metal worker /welder / fabricator. Lots of metal fabrication experience I'm hoping to carry over into Motorcycles. just starting my journey into chopper building.purchased a donor bike and am starting a build from the frame up. (ambitious i know). 80" evo, 280 rear, Ultima RSD transmission, Ultima 3.375 primary, DNA springer front end.

Post by smnmuller907 »

Hey Hans thanks for the reply! Sorry about the pic size. I also should have been more clear that the alignment problem is in the final drive between the trans and the rear wheel. Yes I can move the wheel over, If I can gain room by switching from the 1-1/4" belt to the chain at the final drive. I do have a belt drive primary. I remeasured again a lot more accurately and its actually about 5/8" that the rear tire needs to move towards the pully/ sprocket side. I did some research and found some chain conversion kits and offset sprockets that will probably get me dialed in a little better. I like this idea better than moving backwards on the frame. plus a chains easier to change anyway right! :)
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Sounds like you are doing OK.

As long as your engine/trany / motorplate faces are in plane with each other and with your rear wheel sprocket , you should be fine.

I am posting the belt drive picture to illustrate the alignment check, Yours would be on the other side of course.
1OP.JPG
1OP.JPG (61.47 KiB) Viewed 4447 times
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

smnmuller907 wrote:Hey guys looking for some information on converting from a belt drive to a chain.
If you have time and a camera, could you document the change over and your sources of parts; would be just great. Thanks .

Return to “Motors, Transmissions, & Drive Systems”