INSTALL A OPEN PRIMARY BELT DRIVE.....

Like it says above.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Re: INSTALL A OPEN PRIMARY BELT DRIVE.....

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Good oil pressure, and was an easy start.

https://vimeo.com/167203546

I have pulled it apart to get on with the rest of this build.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

TranyHub.JPG
TranyHub.JPG (150.22 KiB) Viewed 4410 times
Determined that the belt drive would not work in the 140 frame.

The transmission came with a belt drive hub/sprocket.

Took it off yesterday, and am ordering a chain steup for this bike.

Had to remove the inner primary, but left all else in place.

I will use a 51 tooth rear sprocket I borrowed for mockup to set up the chain drive.
Attachments
TranyShaft.JPG
TranyShaft.JPG (155.83 KiB) Viewed 4410 times
Jim Sawyer
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 25,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it

Post by Jim Sawyer »

I used a chain on my build as well. definitely no room for a belt on mine either
I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 71,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Jim Sawyer wrote:I used a chain on my build as well. definitely no room for a belt on mine either
Did you use HD parts ; what size is your rear tire?
Jim Sawyer
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 25,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it

Post by Jim Sawyer »

I used a 1/2" offset front sprocket, and a stock HD flat rear sprocket . The offset sprocket is made by PBI
I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 71,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it
Jim Sawyer
Lurker

Post by Jim Sawyer »

This chart shows some of their options
Attachments
offset sprocket.jpg
offset sprocket.jpg (106.66 KiB) Viewed 4116 times
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Jim Sawyer wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:46 am I used a 1/2" offset front sprocket, and a stock HD flat rear sprocket . The offset sprocket is made by PBI
Thanks Jim, I got front and rear from PBI. Nice product.

Return to “Motors, Transmissions, & Drive Systems”