INSTALL A OPEN PRIMARY BELT DRIVE.....

Like it says above.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

I bought a 2" Ultima belt drive last fall. January came , and time to install. The spacer had to come out, and the seal.

The Spacer was too wide to accommodate the rotor and engine /trany plate.

Drilled four 1/16" holes in the old seal, some 11/2 screws, a steering wheel puller, and out it came.
IMG_1816.JPG[/attachment H/D sells one to pull or install the seal. About $150.oo CDN. [attachment=0]IMG_1813.JPG
Attachments
puller
puller
IMG_1813.JPG (137.06 KiB) Viewed 4472 times
new spacer at front
new spacer at front
IMG_1816.JPG (124.3 KiB) Viewed 4472 times
Last edited by hansgoudzwaard on Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Re: DON'T THROW ANYTHING AWAY........

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

These are the part numbers for the new seal and spacer. Note where H/D makes their seals.

Genuine H/D parts
Genuine H/D parts
Indoseal.JPG (59.41 KiB) Viewed 4456 times
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

To install the sprocket shaft seal, rub some oil on the rubber part of the seal .

To keep oil leaks away, apply some Loctite sealing compound # 601 between the seal and the engine case.

Using the stator spacer, a PVC 2" coupling, use the hub/sprocket nut and tighten until the seal is fully inserted.

Remove some of the pvc from the inside of the coupling so it does not contact the rubber, only the metal.
...MORE TO COME
...MORE TO COME
installseal.JPG (66.86 KiB) Viewed 4448 times
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

The right bolt is fine
The right bolt is fine
BOLT2.JPG (52.17 KiB) Viewed 4432 times
it binds
it binds
BOLT1.JPG (65.21 KiB) Viewed 4432 times
To align the motor and the transmission with the trany- engine plate (or inner primary), the engine to frame and the transmission to frame bolts all have to be loosened off and the nuts removed.

You should be able to move the transmission and the motor around without binding.

Position the engine plate up to the motor and transmission and install and tighten the bolts.

With the engine plate bolted to the motor and transmission you should be able to grab the engine plate and move the motor and transmission into a relaxed position.

With the engine plate bolted in place you should be able to lift out and drop in the motor -to- frame and the transmission -to -frame mounting bolts.

If the bolts do not drop freely, try repositioning the engine plate to allow the motor and transmission to move into whatever position they need to be in . If you cannot find a relaxed position for the motor and transmission, you may have to redrill one or two of the mounting holes in the frame.

I am going to go slow and use a die grinder. I don't want to over do it.

In the attached pictures, without the engine plate , the front engine bolts drop freely.

When I install the engine plate, one of the bolts binds. These are not grade 8 bolts, just some I had laying around.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Made some Brackets...

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

RrrrCopy.JPG
RrrrCopy.JPG (68.49 KiB) Viewed 4422 times
Rrrcopy2.JPG
Rrrcopy2.JPG (58.66 KiB) Viewed 4422 times
Brackets for the Voltage regulator, and the oil filter.

I didn't like the factory position of the oil filter.

When you changed it, oil would pour out all over the bike, making it more of a mess.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

How they do it.
How they do it.
old school.JPG (59.38 KiB) Viewed 4382 times
I ignored the info about WASHERS and SHIMS and SILICON.

They talk about being able to align the sprocket shaft splines and the collar splines while the belt is under tension.

I did it differently, and was much easier than this.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

INSTALL OPEN PRIMARY BELT DRIVE....

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Aligning the sprocket shaft splines and the collar splines is difficult because of the close tolerances.

I placed the collar on the sprocket shaft by itself without the motor pulley or the pulley nut.

The spacer is put on first.
Attachments
collar
collar
Collar.JPG (49.91 KiB) Viewed 4367 times
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Re: INSTALL A OPEN PRIMARY BELT DRIVE.....

Post by budoka »

good stuff!

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

WOW!!
WOW!!
BEARLY.JPG (58.68 KiB) Viewed 4339 times
Yeah, amazing I got this far.

MORE PICTURES COMING.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Motor Pulley
Motor Pulley
Capture.JPG (50.57 KiB) Viewed 4331 times
Slide the motor pulley onto the sprocket shaft collar, but do not bolt the two together.

This way the motor pulley can rotate without turning over the motor.

Place the drive belt on the edge of motor pulley and the transmission pulley .

Slowly rotate both the motor pulley and the transmission pulley while pushing the belt towards the motor plate.

After a few rotations and nudging with the palm of your hand the belt should be fully engaged on both the motor pulley and the transmission pulley.
2 inch belt
2 inch belt
BELT.JPG (71.57 KiB) Viewed 4331 times
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

belton
belton
FullSizeRender.jpg (82.17 KiB) Viewed 4328 times
You can now bolt the hub to the collar and torque the hub nut to the motor shaft.

I did that, but used no Loctite as I am pulling it right off after a test start.

I did not use the clutch plates or pressure plate. I can start the motor without those.

Torque the Transmission nut, and it has a lefty thread.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Place a "Locking Bar" between the two pulleys at this angle to lock the drive.

You can torque the drive nut this way; place it the other way to torque the transmission pulley nut.

The bar can be a piece of strap 8" long and 1-2 inches wide.
Attachments
Lockit
Lockit
FullSizeRender.jpg (65.4 KiB) Viewed 4317 times
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Re: INSTALL AN OPEN PRIMARY BELT DRIVE.....

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

$$$$
$$$$
DRAGlinK.JPG (25.19 KiB) Viewed 4291 times
Remove the oil screen cap and "O" ring, and install the oil pressure gauge and fittings.

Use a 11/16 drag link socket, (abt $25 Ca) before tax, or make your own.

I made my own in about 10 minutes.
TAKEITOUT
TAKEITOUT
DRAGLink1.JPG (47.11 KiB) Viewed 4291 times
Oil Press!!
Oil Press!!
draglink2.JPG (44.04 KiB) Viewed 4291 times
I am leaving the sending unit in to use later.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

HEY, It Runs !!

Fired it up today for the first time since I bought it.

Happy about that.
IMG_2100.JPG
IMG_2100.JPG (161.56 KiB) Viewed 4234 times
IMG_2101.JPG
IMG_2101.JPG (118.38 KiB) Viewed 4234 times
I'm going to leave the wiring as it is. :lol:
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

The nice thing is that every thing that came with the motor is in good condition, ignition module, coil, etc.
I have a 5 speed gear set that came with it, so i'll trade that off at some point.

I had a few questions I needed answers for , so I called a lad who has a bike shop outside of Vancouver, Canada.
He was polite and knowledgeable, and never made me feel I was imposing.
E-mailed me back the next day with all the right info. I don't know him, but I feel I do.
Thanks Dobbers Choppers.

http://dobberschoppers.com/

Return to “Motors, Transmissions, & Drive Systems”