How long should a cylinder hold compression

Like it says above.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

How long should a cylinder hold compression

Post by Jeff L »

Ran a compression test & not only is it low ( like 50lb) in 2 cylinders, but I can literally watch the gauge drop as soon as I stop kicking.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Re: How long should a cylinder hold compression

Post by gearhead1951 »

Top end rebuild time !!
Jim Sawyer
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 25,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it

Post by Jim Sawyer »

most compression gauges have a schrader valve in the end of the hose where it threads into the spark plug home so that the gauge will hold the reading until you release the pressure.

Also on a big V twin, you need to hold the throttle wide open when cranking for a compression test, If you dont, you will get low readings.
I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 71,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

was talking to someone who said if my rings werent seated it will read low. He also said it should start at 50lb. The carbs were removed so its getting plenty of air (To much?). He also seem to think I didnt lap the valves in well enough. Suggested I do it with a drill (reversing directions during process), with a couple grits of compound. Also something tells me my valve timing is still off. When all timing marks are in line, intake is still closing when piston is half way up on compression. I've since moved to 3 teeth past the mark so valves open sooner & looks better ,but think I will try another tooth or two to see what that does.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

Turns out my gauge was bad....picked up a new one, ran a test & center cyl. read 90....l & r cyls. read 60. Shot a little oil in the cylinders & all 3 read over 120. Would this be normal for a motor that has never been run with the lack of oil being pumped throughout the motor?
Jim Sawyer
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 25,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it

Post by Jim Sawyer »

What is the engine? I would try to find the compression specs in a service manual, or online and see how your compares
I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 71,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Jeff L wrote:Turns out my gauge was bad....picked up a new one, ran a test & center cyl. read 90....l & r cyls. read 60. Shot a little oil in the cylinders & all 3 read over 120. Would this be normal for a motor that has never been run with the lack of oil being pumped throughout the motor?
I Think :angry-banghead: that if it has never been run, that the rings are not seated. Adding the oil seals the ring area and increases compression.

:violin:
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

Jim Sawyer wrote:What is the engine? I would try to find the compression specs in a service manual, or online and see how your compares
Its a BSA rocket 3 750. I was told on a british site that it should be like 120.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

[/quote]I Think :angry-banghead: that if it has never been run, that the rings are not seated. Adding the oil seals the ring area and increases compression.

:violin:[/quote] Im hoping that is the case.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

I shot a little starting fluid into the cylinders & kicked it over. It popped!!!!!!!!! Im sure it is going to run now. I have a little to do on the carbs (they were leaking), when they go back on I hope to report a running bike....... :dance:

Return to “Motors, Transmissions, & Drive Systems”