Steering stem material

Use this area for posts and questions that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Steering stem material

Post by Jeff L »

What would be the best choice for the stem? Hopefully something relatively easy to machine & weld...thanks
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Re: Steering stem material

Post by Dusty-Dave »

The ones I have had in the lathe cut like mild steel. I never put one on the grinder to be for sure but they aren't very tough. as heavy as they are 1020 ought to be fine if I used welded tube I think I wouldn't use DOM so I could be sure the weld was not straight forward or backward. If you decide on chrome molly don't forget that any electric welding process on cromo must be normalized.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

I went on a couple sites, but couldn't find 1020. Is 1018 similar?
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

I used 1018 cold rolled bar on mine haven't had any problems
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

1018 would be fine. If you have the ability machining it out of hot rolled shaft would be best. Next best would be seamless tube then resistance welded tube And if I had to use DOM I would dye it to find the weld.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

Cool. Making it out of bar stock was my plan.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

ditto. 1018 works just fine from my experience.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/

Return to “General Technical Matters”