Chain tensiorer

Use this area for posts and questions that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
lakesmod
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a 60ish owner of a late '84 model H-D Sportster. I live on Taylor Bay on the Key Peninsula coast of Puget Sound in Washington State. I've had the bike about 1-1/2 years. Changed drag bars to apes. I'm in the process of lowering the rear about 4". I don't like stock & I enjoy modifying. Have had Honda's, Triumph's, Sportsters and Shovelheads.

Re: Chain tensiorer

Post by lakesmod »

Jeff L
Thanks but the material in question is on top of the aluminum swing arm.
lakesmod
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a 60ish owner of a late '84 model H-D Sportster. I live on Taylor Bay on the Key Peninsula coast of Puget Sound in Washington State. I've had the bike about 1-1/2 years. Changed drag bars to apes. I'm in the process of lowering the rear about 4". I don't like stock & I enjoy modifying. Have had Honda's, Triumph's, Sportsters and Shovelheads.

Post by lakesmod »

Jeff L
Thanks,but the material in question is on top of the aluminum swing arm.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

I see said the blind man.Im doing this on my Ipod.Didnt even see that till you pointed it out.Looks like its there to keep the chain from slapping the swingarm...Teflon maybe?
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
lakesmod
NewB

Post by lakesmod »

Jeff L
Thanks for sticking with me on this .
I think teflon would wear faster then UHMW.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-hig ... lyethylene
My problem is the chain has only about 1/2" before it will hit the top frame because I have lowered the bike about 4".
http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb166/lakesmod/
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

On a swingarm bike you need a tensioner with a lot more 'travel' than what most of us use on a rigid frame but most swingarm bikes don't need a tensioner to begin with so why is this an issue on your particular project? Are you planing on running a jackshaft for the bike or is there some other design element that requires the use of the tensioner? As a general rule the use of a chain tensioner on a chopper frame is because you're running a non-adjustable axle block or you have a clearance problem with the chain. On a swingarm frame you should not have any clearance problems and it's almost mandantory that you have adjustable axle blocks. Try to post some diagrams or photos of the particular issue or design element on your project and we can provide some better input.
lakesmod
NewB

Post by lakesmod »

gww25
I have lowered the rear about 4-5".The swing arm is now running at a angle putting the chain a 1/2" from frame at the bottom of the oil tank.
Take a look at the above address for photo bucket,A good picture is the 3rd row 4th picture from the left.
lakesmod
NewB

Post by lakesmod »

I should have said the chain is 1/2" from where the frame go's behind the oil tank.
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

I see the problem and it looks like a tensioner should keep the chain below the tank but I haven't looked at the specific geometry with repect to the chain for the full range of travel. It may be easier just to build a custom tank and chain guard. Nice work by the way of getting that bike lowered.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Someone here built a really nice yellow pro-street style chopper years ago, and used a chain tensioner.
I think his user name was Jacked800, or something like that.
Haven't seen any posts from him in years tho.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
lakesmod
NewB

Post by lakesmod »

gww25
Thanks for the complement.
I have looked at McMaster-Car and Grainger web sites for a sprocket to make a idler.
They list there sprockets as #40-50-60,my chain is a 530. Dose 50=530?
jimmib
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello everyone. first of all a big thanks to "Dan the Man". Some of you know me from the previous (2) boards and some don't, so here goes. I have been a fabricator/welder for over 40 years now. Damn that's a helluva long time to do anything! Anyways, I have built literaly 100's of street rods, pro streeters, racecars, bikes and trikes over the years. Never made the headlines and never will. I do what I do because it is the love of my life.
I enjoy reading the posts on the forum and try to contribute when I can. I am sure that this will be every bit as good as the CBH forum, as we will have most of the same folks. Good luck and post a lot of pics!! Jim

Post by jimmib »

lakesmod wrote:gww25
Thanks for the complement.
I have looked at McMaster-Car and Grainger web sites for a sprocket to make a idler.
They list there sprockets as #40-50-60,my chain is a 530. Dose 50=530?
Not to answer Gary's question, but yes Ansi 50=Bike 530.
Whoa!...Musta stood up too fast...
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
An optomist is no more than a pessimist with an idea.
Gun control is hitting what you are aiming at.....
lakesmod
NewB

Post by lakesmod »

riceburner
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am a motorcycle repairman, artist, fabricator, machinist, welder, bender, fitter, eater, lover, fighter, I live in eastern denial. A man sought to see the Dali Lama he climbed the mountain to find he must spend 5 years in contemplation before he can see the Dali Lama, after 5 years past the man was taken to see the Dali Lama he asked him "what is the meaning of life?" the Dali Lama looked at the man, smiled and said "well my son, life is like a bean stalk, isnt it?"

Post by riceburner »

Return to “General Technical Matters”