Chain tensiorer

Use this area for posts and questions that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
lakesmod
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a 60ish owner of a late '84 model H-D Sportster. I live on Taylor Bay on the Key Peninsula coast of Puget Sound in Washington State. I've had the bike about 1-1/2 years. Changed drag bars to apes. I'm in the process of lowering the rear about 4". I don't like stock & I enjoy modifying. Have had Honda's, Triumph's, Sportsters and Shovelheads.

Chain tensiorer

Post by lakesmod »

Has anybody made there own chain tensioner.
Pictures?
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: Chain tensiorer

Post by curt »

i remember some on the old bord maybe dan can get em for ya but i think he said it was fragmented so he might need time
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Post by sleepyonthree »

Picture from the old board of three tensioners, not sure of the thread it came from. Appears to used a modified
auto drive belt tensioner.

Serpentine belt tensioner from napa for a 1998 GMC Yukon showen. Doubt the plastic belt
pulley would hold up to a chain. The nub on the housing fits a hole to restrain the spring tension
and provide the tension factor.
Attachments
auto drive belt tensioner.JPG
auto drive belt tensioner.JPG (53.02 KiB) Viewed 5379 times
chain ten idler.JPG
chain ten idler.JPG (104.57 KiB) Viewed 5379 times
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

I had a load of links and picture and variations on the old board. I'll look.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

I made this one.
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG (39.44 KiB) Viewed 5376 times
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
lakesmod
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a 60ish owner of a late '84 model H-D Sportster. I live on Taylor Bay on the Key Peninsula coast of Puget Sound in Washington State. I've had the bike about 1-1/2 years. Changed drag bars to apes. I'm in the process of lowering the rear about 4". I don't like stock & I enjoy modifying. Have had Honda's, Triumph's, Sportsters and Shovelheads.

Post by lakesmod »

Thanks for the replys.
Jeff L-Can you give me some details ,like what sprocket and bearing did you use?
Thanks, Fred
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

The sprocket is an industrial ider sprocket from tractor supply.I forget what size, but its same size as 530 chain.The bearing I got in a bin at the steel supply I go to.It was a little bigger than the bore in the sprocket, so I just opened it up to fit.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

The Chevy tensioner and the sprocket ( Grainger's ) is the cheapest unless your time is not worth anything ......I have cut the Chevy one down to use on a lot of different cars and bikes....... they polish out nice also.....The junk yards are full of them, I buy them by the 5 gal bucket full...i get the one that are locked up and say I am getting them to melt down and cast stuff. they weight the bucket and charge me the going price of scrap ! i mounted one on my Mower deck , when the stock piece of crap broke ...cuts down on the slippage so the belts don't burn up as fast1
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

yona wrote: unless your time is not worth anything ..
...Wow dude...that is so far from the point of why you would Make a part rather than buy it.Considering what I make an hour at my job,everthing on my bike I could have probably bought cheaper than make.
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

Was not my point but what I make an hour is to help feed and care for my family....why cobble up something that can break and leave you on side of the road....? guess I am too old to what to be different...I just like stuff to work....Sorry for butting in ....
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

My appologies dude....sometimes its not easy to get someone point through a typed sentence.And fyi its not butting in....its called discusion.Different viewpoints are always good.especially when you dont agree with some...it makes you think.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

If it is MY time , not out of my work day and not costing me any money then it is FREE !

And if it ends up sold then that is extra money I wasnt expecting !

Other wise the value is the fun I had creating and using what I have made from scrap and labor !
:lol: :dance: :auto-dirtbike: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Dan.in.Can
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Dan, i'm 28 years old and i live in Ontario Canada. i grew up in an old school house that my dad fixed up out in the country, just outside a very small town called Hillsdale. i spent most of my childhood working at the farm up the road, so i guess you could say im a country boy. school and me never quite saw eye to eye, not that i wasn't smart enough, but i had a big issue with authority, so i ended up dropping out of highschool to start working in construction. spent about 6 years as a general contractor, but most of the work was in Toronto and i got tired of commuting. now i'm a heavy equipment operator, i spend my summers diggin holes, and my winters plowing snow. i do everything from floating equipment and driving truck, to digging basements and installing septics. I also do quite a bit of maintinence and repairs on our trucks and equipment. thats where i learned to weld (mig & stick) as well as basic mechanical and fabrication skills. i've been with this company for 6 years now. i've been married 7 years now, and we have 2 boys 10 and 12 yrs old. i spend as much of my spare time out on the bike as possible. im riding a F model VTX1800, i try to get away on at least one long trip every year. last couple years me and the guys have rode to north carolina, i love those mountain roads. I've allways dreamed of building a bike, but never thought it was actually a possibility untill i found the CBH website. i read through the OSC build and it completely blew me away, i then read through every article on the site and now i'm a huge fan. everything from the attitude and idea, to the work thats done is fantastic. i'm starting my first bike build real soon, ive got my bender die ordered from jd2 and i've started building the CBH bender. even just skimming through this message board provides more usefull tech knowlege about choppers than the entire web. now im chasing a dream, thanks CBH.

Post by Dan.in.Can »

also what else would you do with spare time, for me i'd way rather be out in the shop tinkering away on a project, than sittin on the couch staring at the tube.
if you have two or three wheels and a smile on your face then its all good
lakesmod
NewB

Post by lakesmod »

Can a fixed tensiorer be used with a swing arm or do I need a spring loaded one?
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z238 ... ral185.jpg
Anyone know what material is pictured in the above address? UHMW?
Thanks for your reply's.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

With the movement of the swingarm & chain, Id go with spring loaded tensioner....From what I can see of the weld...Id say Aluminum.

Return to “General Technical Matters”