Making Cable Ends

Use this area for posts and questions that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Making Cable Ends

Post by Jeff L »

Thought I'd share how I made Cable ends for my Brake.I'll be doing the same for the Clutch.1st) was to make a little Solder Pot
solder pot.JPG
solder pot.JPG (123.17 KiB) Viewed 4552 times
...2nd) you'll need Flux for Stainless, got this at my Welding Supply
flux.JPG
flux.JPG (98.12 KiB) Viewed 4552 times
3rd)is to prep the Cable.I started by opening up the end with a small Nail.Just poke it into the Cable a bunch of times.This will allow the Flux into the Strands & give the Solder more to hold.This is unfortunatly the only Pic that I got.The 1st poke.But after it was done,I cut a small piece of the Nail & slide it through the Cable (it looked like the Pic)
cable.JPG
cable.JPG (94.85 KiB) Viewed 4552 times
.Let the Cable soak in the Flux for a couple Minutes.While it was soaking, I heated up the Pot with a Torch.Once hot start pushing Solder in.It should melt on contact.The way I did this was I dipped the Cable in the Solder just to Tin it.After it was Tinned, I took off the heat & started dipping again(it seems to get more Solder on the Cable as the Solder cools alittle).Continue till you get a nice little Glob on the end.Again forgot to take Pic.And now you can sand to the shape you need
soldered.JPG
soldered.JPG (94.36 KiB) Viewed 4552 times
And here it is installed
installed.JPG
installed.JPG (118.73 KiB) Viewed 4552 times
I really pulled on this & it held.Hope someone finds this usefull.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Re: Making Cable Ends

Post by sleepyonthree »

I like that little solder pot plus the reminder you need the specific flux. What type of solder did you use?

:text-goodpost:
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

I used regular old Silver Solder.There are others out there with higher Silver content (higher Silver=stronger Joint) but I pulled on the Cable with the end locked in the Foot control, with both Hands & it held.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

I used plumbing solder to build tattoo needles, they're stainless, didn't matter what kind. The flux was the important part, stay brite was the only one worth a crap.
We can do anything, impossible just takes longer.
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Neat, thankyou Jeff..

Return to “General Technical Matters”