carb gunk

Use this area for posts and questions that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

carb gunk

Post by railroad bob »

Did a search on carb clean, and have a question...

I have a S&S Super E on my bike. It sat all winter without being started, good intentions and all that...

Now I'm paying the price. I'm getting fuel to the carb, but will not fire. There is no sign of fuel in the throat or manifold when I crank the throttle. I don't like to use this stuff, but I gingerly sprayed some starting fluid into the throat as I cranked the motor over, and it would fire and stutter run, so I know the fuel is the reason for the problems.
I took the carb off and pulled the cover off the float chamber. Blew out the jets with compressed air. Still no sign of fuel.

I'm contemplating the next action. I might open it up again and use carb magic generously on everything, or maybe take the jets completely out and soak for a day or so.

Any suggestions?
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: carb gunk

Post by curt »

definatly pull the jets probly the whole carb the fuel can turn into this white powder that gets like concrete compressed air might only let a small passage open just enough for the air but not enough for a good fuel flow i have seen it almost plug solid the tube where the jets screw in dont forget to check the accelerator pump holes it will fall on its face when you hit the throtel . dont use any metal trying to get it out of the jets toothpicks work great
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Re: carb gunk

Post by railroad bob »

toothpicks, good idea. Thanks for the reply. At least this way I'll know what the jetting is.
Finally seeing and hearing a few bikes on the road this afternoon, I'm getting antsy to ride.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL

Return to “General Technical Matters”