What would you do?

Use this area for posts and questions that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

What would you do?

Post by Jeff L »

I was flat clearing some Parts when I looked into the Tank.This is what I saw
BSA Tank.JPG
BSA Tank.JPG (83.11 KiB) Viewed 5728 times
It's very lite & most will rub off.Would you line the Tank,or remove the Rust & call it good?
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
jbfrmca
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: dan. my names john or jbfrmca on most boards . i was on the old board(not very much i'm afraid) been messing with bikes my whole life. still want to learn as much as i can while i can. thanks in advance. later john.

Re: What would you do?

Post by jbfrmca »

i had a tank that was way worse than that. it had a lot of flaking rust in it. i just loaded it up with sheet metal/drywall screws and wrapped it in a sleeping bag and loaded it in my dryer.i spun it for a little while and then blew it out with compressed air and ran it. i think as long as there is no big flakes you'll be ok.
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

I USE OSPHO.... half water and half ospho.... rotate tank a little at a time ( depends on how full it is ) then flush with running water till foaming stops, immediately flush with denatured alcohol ( removes water) . add about a qt of DA, and shake for a few minutes and then pour out (can be reclaimed) and let the rest evaporate. Do not blow dry or heat, creates water vapor and rust will reform. when dry, coat with Redkote !!!
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

The Oil Tanks have Rust in them too...it's always something.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
kheaton
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Ken Heaton. I've been in the medical field in the Army for the past 18 years and work on and build bikes as a hobby. My main hobby and goal is to think of parts that do not exist and make them or modify existing parts. I currently own a 99 Softtail that I bolted together, a 78 Triumph bobber that i built from the ground up, a 75 CB360 cafe, and a 76 Kawasaki KH500 that needs a lot of work. I joined the original forum about 8 years ago and I'm glad to see it up and running again!

Post by kheaton »

I would clean and coat it. I found a good deal on a wassel tank and coated it with a KBS product and no issues. It cost more than redcoat but having used both I think KBS is better. The 3 part kit comes with everything to do the tank.
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

Checked this out - KBS - Will order some to test, looks promising...
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

This is good info.
kheaton
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Ken Heaton. I've been in the medical field in the Army for the past 18 years and work on and build bikes as a hobby. My main hobby and goal is to think of parts that do not exist and make them or modify existing parts. I currently own a 99 Softtail that I bolted together, a 78 Triumph bobber that i built from the ground up, a 75 CB360 cafe, and a 76 Kawasaki KH500 that needs a lot of work. I joined the original forum about 8 years ago and I'm glad to see it up and running again!

Post by kheaton »

Looks like their prices have gone down. I'm pretty sure I paid $70 for the large cycle sealer kit.
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

I used a Por 15 kit on my chopped tank....was really really tarnished and rusted but came up pretty good, and clean, failing that have had good results for stripping crap off with 'pool acid' or concrete cleaner? just dont know what you'd nutralise it with..
yona
Conventioneer

Post by yona »

Pool acid is Hydrochloric acid ..... is hard to neutralise.... the same with battery acid. Phosphoric acid will neutralize with water, but since it helps clean also it will flash rust very quickly. I pickle with 100% ospho and then wash with water . Then I mix 1/3 each , distilled water, denatured alcohol, and opsho. Wipe and dry immediately. If you don't touch , will last for up to 4 months or more. For tanks, I use a length of light chain pulled thru a stopper, so you can get it out easy, put a rag over stopper and shake to loosen any scaley rust. The opsh will convert the rest of the rust. once dry, use sealer of choice. KREAM WILL TURN LOOSE AND IS A BITCH TO REMOVE! tAKES A LOT OF ACETONE OR mek TO REMOVE!

Return to “General Technical Matters”