Any quick fixes for broken ironhead inner primary?

Use this area for posts and questions that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
justin caise
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Seemingly still just a wannabe, as I've not actually built a chopper yet. But I know what I'm doing. I'm startin slow, studying, tooling up, and thinking about it properly - someone here once said "The important thing about finishing your first build is to not let your ambitions exceed your abilities." I'm holdin my ambitions just a little ahead of my abilites so's I can stay motivated. Gary said the balance of time and money is key - So, I'm working that, too. Just reallly grateful to find that this incredible resource is still alive and accessible.
I'm hoping to actually connect with and make some friends here this time.
I'm in So NH repairing and riding the low buck jap junk for now... practicing, discovering my fav riding style, learning CAD, machining, designing and building tools. Lonely. I've got friends and family, and riding buds but no close chopper freaks to hold a torch. Aaaaand, I've said too much again....

Any quick fixes for broken ironhead inner primary?

Post by justin caise »

I screwed up today by cranking down on one of the clutch cover screws too much on a 72(?) Sportster and split the aluminum primary (integral to the engine). Just a hairline, visible from the outside, right at the boss where the top screw goes in. I think this happened because there was left over dried gasket goop in the hole - which I've now learned to clean out before closing things up- and because I was rushing.

Can I fix this with, like, with toothpaste, or hairspray, or apple cider vinegar or something?

(Feeling like Gilligan.)
Your car should be old style
Your clothes rather new
Your chopper - a tasteful mix of the two.
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Re: Any quick fixes for broken ironhead inner primary?

Post by gww25 »

Did you hear a loud 'poping' sound when you tweaked down on the fastener? If not then you most likely just opened up a crack that was already there and the 'goop' was probably some other person 'fix'. If the crack is on the 'weak' side of the boss then just seal it with J-B weld as it probably won't propagate any further.
justin caise
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Seemingly still just a wannabe, as I've not actually built a chopper yet. But I know what I'm doing. I'm startin slow, studying, tooling up, and thinking about it properly - someone here once said "The important thing about finishing your first build is to not let your ambitions exceed your abilities." I'm holdin my ambitions just a little ahead of my abilites so's I can stay motivated. Gary said the balance of time and money is key - So, I'm working that, too. Just reallly grateful to find that this incredible resource is still alive and accessible.
I'm hoping to actually connect with and make some friends here this time.
I'm in So NH repairing and riding the low buck jap junk for now... practicing, discovering my fav riding style, learning CAD, machining, designing and building tools. Lonely. I've got friends and family, and riding buds but no close chopper freaks to hold a torch. Aaaaand, I've said too much again....

Post by justin caise »

Thank you Gary.
Actually I heard two popping sounds. the first was the splitting aluminum, then my palm hitting my forehead.
Your car should be old style
Your clothes rather new
Your chopper - a tasteful mix of the two.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

XL forum deals with this. Some good advice online.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

My dad showed me how to use JB Weld for aluminum on a transmission case for a Yamaha, years ago.
Not sure how difference there is in internal pressures, but this one held fine for thousand of miles.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

An interesting link.

www.ironheadcycle.com/

If you look under "tech Info" he has some useful tools.

Return to “General Technical Matters”