Softail 5 speed in a 4 speed Shovel Frame

Use this area for posts and questions that don't seem to fit anywhere else.
gasketscraper
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Long time Member, but been out of touch for a while. Been building and riding since my early teens. I work in Alaska for half the year, reside in Seattle the other half. Turn wrenches, weld and fabricate for a living in the Commercial Marine Industry. Have 3 bikes under construction and several riders. Harleys, Nortons and an Indian scout. Enjoy the talent of the individuals on this site!

Softail 5 speed in a 4 speed Shovel Frame

Post by gasketscraper »

Okay, I tried search and didn't have any luck. Hopefully someone who has been down this road can answer my ??s I put an S&S 98 cu.in. Shovel-head in my 75 FX frame. I decided to update to a 5 speed for three reasons.1.( One). the starters available are so much Ballsier than even the Best AM starters for a shovel trans.. This stroker is a bitch to turn over. (might get easier once its broke in.) 2. (two). The newer Diaphragm style clutch is more than adequate even in stock form for this engine. Bang for the buck can't be beat, compared to a pricey upgrade for the shovel trans. 3. (three). I hope to have a little bit more gearing options with the 5 speed. In other words gear it up to keep RPM in a lower range while cruising, but be able to down shift to 4th when need be. This last one isn't really that big an issue for me. So if any one can give a rundown on what they've done it would be appreciated! Part #s inner primary used etc. Clearance issues anywhere? I have the Trans and the Paughco adapter plate to mount the trans. I also have a late (er) model inner that lines up the bolts and dowel in the trans. but the shaft is off about a 1/3 hole in the support bearing?
gasketscraper
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Long time Member, but been out of touch for a while. Been building and riding since my early teens. I work in Alaska for half the year, reside in Seattle the other half. Turn wrenches, weld and fabricate for a living in the Commercial Marine Industry. Have 3 bikes under construction and several riders. Harleys, Nortons and an Indian scout. Enjoy the talent of the individuals on this site!

Re: Softail 5 speed in a 4 speed Shovel Frame

Post by gasketscraper »

Don't everybody jump in all at once. :) Thought this was a fairly common swap. Maybe not? Maybe there is a reason its not. :)
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

I have never done it before but am very interested to see how it goes I been wanting to do this very same thing myself . I have researched as far as finding a belt drive setup in j & p cycle to run the newer trans and starter but haven't had the cash to buy and see how it goes together . its lookin like no Christmas bonus this year so may have to wait a while longer for me
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
gasketscraper
NewB

Post by gasketscraper »

Curt, Ill let you know how it goes. I know its been done. so far I don't have Much $$ tied up in it. And if turns in to too big a Pain I have a Chopper Guys Hard tail I can use it in.
little d
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: just an old grey beard thats been riding and wrenching since a pup. I currently have a 80 FLT with a 80" EVO stuffed in it and am building a little light 113" EVO based hotrod that I hope to drag race and maybe some day, take to the salt flats and see what I can do with it.

Post by little d »

Gasket,
haven't done it but, am told its just a matter of getting an adapter plate, frame to tranny and the EVO FXR/softail style inner/outer primarys. I think there was a write up on it on the JJ a while back. Might have to go with the softail style oil tank for clearance also. Something I have done is used the "twinkey" comp sprocket on the motor to get the gearing up on my FLT. When I built it, I bought a new primary chain and had to seat it in before I could get it on the bigger sprocket but droped a coupla hundred RPM.

Your right on the starters, on my 113 I snapped the stock shaft right out of the gate, swapped it out for a 2k unit and it doesn't even strain.
gasketscraper
NewB

Post by gasketscraper »

Thanks, D. I have an old FXR inner, I will see How that fits. I have the trans and adapter Mount plate. I'm waiting on a Sprocket since the trans came with a belt drive sprocket. I have a like new Twinky primary chain and sprockets, clutch basket etc. Anxious to get it done! I looked on J, but my search didn't get results.
little d
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: just an old grey beard thats been riding and wrenching since a pup. I currently have a 80 FLT with a 80" EVO stuffed in it and am building a little light 113" EVO based hotrod that I hope to drag race and maybe some day, take to the salt flats and see what I can do with it.

Post by little d »

The chain wouldn't work on mine, WAY to long, the FLT chain did but, I used the FLT clutch basket so it may be different.
gasketscraper
NewB

Post by gasketscraper »

Curt, if you look on the JJ Search Super Super-glide and follow a few of the Links LilBil posted. One takes you to Primo Rivera and a how too using their stuff. You can see pretty much what has to happen. Bummer is you have to Notch the "New" tranny to clear the swing arm mounting ears. 2Loose on here flipped the ears on his Pan Frame to avoid doing this. I don't want to notch the trans, because it will make it a belt only situation. I want to keep the cost down ,so buying a belt drive is out of the question. So not sure which way I'm going to proceed at this point! :( I'm not going to flip the swing Arm mounts. So.......
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

ya im not liking the idea of notching a tranny either
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
IRISH
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi All,
My name is Craig Irish. I live in Northern California. I've been a member for a long time but I am re registering because the board is new. I have a project build thread on this board call Irish's Old School Chopper Project. I'm glad the board is still going and I very much appreciate Dan keeping it going. Thanks Dan!
Craig

Post by IRISH »

gasketscraper wrote:Thanks, D. I have an old FXR inner, I will see How that fits. I have the trans and adapter Mount plate. I'm waiting on a Sprocket since the trans came with a belt drive sprocket. I have a like new Twinky primary chain and sprockets, clutch basket etc. Anxious to get it done! I looked on J, but my search didn't get results.
Did you ever get this to work? I know you do it with an open belt drive. $220 BDL on ebay:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... ID=EBAY-US

Return to “General Technical Matters”