curts girder build

Try using this area for frontend information.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

curts girder build

Post by curt »

001.jpg
001.jpg (59.04 KiB) Viewed 3563 times
002.jpg
002.jpg (55.65 KiB) Viewed 3563 times
004.jpg
004.jpg (54.63 KiB) Viewed 3563 times
005.jpg
005.jpg (53.58 KiB) Viewed 3563 times
i started a girder build for the softail frame build i really want to buy garys cd but i been spending too much cash on parts for the 2 builds i got going on now and christmas coming itll have to wait a lil while but in the mean time ill do as much as i can from the plans that i got from a nother member (thanks i appreciate it ). i had the dxf files on the frame cd i bought so i went to budys shop and had him cut the trees out for me man gotta love that plasma table took nothing to clean them up . i had some 1 inch cold rolled barstock laying arround in my shop so i cut 2 lengths and turned them down on both ends to 5/8 and then 1/2 instead of the hollow tube and welded bar i saw it done on the old bord and liked the idea i dont remember whose post it was but thanks for the idea . then i made the dogbones at 4and 1/2 inches per plan dimensions.i turned the small pieces down to 1.25 and bored the inside to 3/4 so i could use 3/4 to 5/8 bushings for the pivots and turned down an extra 2 for the wheel axl while i was at it . finaly got tracking numbers for the rims i orderd they should be here tomorrow. the only question i have at this point is how do you figure out how long to make the legs is it the same as a springer get the frame to ride height and use the rim and tire seems the logical way but ive never tryed to build a girder before and the old bord is down so i cant see how anyone else has done it so any help would be great .
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: curts girder build

Post by curt »

oh i also spun down a stem while i was playing on the lathe bearings fit super well going to do the threads tomorrow
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

i tryed to cut the threads for the stem today and failed 3 times couldnt get the die to cut straight i tryed everything from cutting a shaft down so the die was slid on the shaft before it started. to cutting diffrent bevels in the end where it starts looks like im going to have to have a machine shop do it for me i dont have the right tool to cut threads that shallow and close together . i hate waitin for other people to do somethin for me but im running outa 1 inch bar .
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

yeah, doing the threads with a die might be tough. cutting on a lathe or forming them seems to work better for me. be careful too in relation to the threads on the stem nut and acorn nut you get. there's a LOT of variation in the ones offered.

figuring out the leg length is not that bad. block up the frame so the front of the frame sits about 1" above level. next, attach the 4 links to the trees and hold them up level somehow. roll your front tire/wheel into position, and using a straight edge, measure from the center of the top front pivot pin to the axle location of your tire/wheel combo. just be careful to NOT line up your straight edge with the lower front pivot pin location, since that pivot pin location should be located about .75" to the rear of the line of the girder's front tube (which can be moved to get trail where you want it- i think i ran mine at less than .75")

the reason you want to block the frame up is that you want to compensate for a little bit of preload on the shock when you sit on the bike, which will put the links at about the right angle (not level, about 10 degrees if i remember right).

have fun, and good luck. if you need shock info, the one i bought seems about right. i can shoot ya the info.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

thanks for the info dan the 3/4 inch on the lower link is a bit of helpful info too as far as the shock im thinkin i want to go air shock to lower the frame to the ground no kick stand . got some research to do on that yet
triker_chewie
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: chewie from perth western australia. i'm triking up a vw and chopping up a yamaha and repairing broken tools. jeez 200 characters is a lot. GOT A WIFE AND KIDS SPENDING ALL MY PLAY MOEY ON FOOD AND CLOTHES AND OTHER USELESS SHIT sorry bout the caps put them on for the code thing

Post by triker_chewie »

jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Hi curt, looking real good so far. I am still working on my springer build and trying to collect more materials and tools of course, good luck man. :clap: :D :whistle:
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

I feel your pain. Sometimes even most stubborn of us have to break down and buy something from Paughco since it sometimes costs more to make it ourselves. Don't feel to bad about it however as even the most famous Springer builders buy about 90% of their parts from the same source.
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

thanks everyone im hopeing my rims get here soon so i can go foreward with the build of the front end my goal is to have both the softail and hard tail up and running by spring being almost identical partswise itll be fun to run em side by side and see the hardtail woop on the softail
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

got the rims thursday found the hubs are a lil wider than stock wheels so theyre not fitting on the springer going to have to make some extended rockers and maybe change the hardware so i can run a brake but im sure i can make em work phone was down so i didnt get pics but i will i also made spacers for the hardtail frame rear wheel hopefully i can pick up some tires this week back at it tomorrow
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

broke down and admitted defeat and went to machine shop today and had them thread the sterring stem for me hopefully ill have it in a few days . gotta get the swingarm built anyways so i can get the correct length on the legs so looks like im at a standstill for a lil bit have to work on the swingarm for the softail now for sure
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Hi curt, sometimes we have to have help along the way. Time and money are hard to come by, it is nice to have a good machine shop that can do some of work to keep making progress. As long as they charge a fair price to do the machineing etc. :popcorn: :D
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

015.JPG
015.JPG (175.17 KiB) Viewed 3371 times
finally a little progress i bought the girder cd from bitterend choppers and got it in the mail over the weekend read gary's how too cleared a lot of questions up . gave me a few ideas for the next one too glad someone of his experience and ability is so willing to share info cant thank you enough. i also got the stem back from the machine shop .i turned down the stem so it would fit for height and so i could get the bearings on all they had to do was thread the 1 inch 24 threads for me . i have a lathe that will turn the threads but i dont have and dont know the proper tool to get the threads i have a 60 degree carbide but its too wide for such narrow threads any sugesstions would be great so next time i can do it myself. i also had them cut the 3/4 inch slots for the axl plates im going to use for the softail frame so i can get going on that too . i talked the boss into letting me order a mill for the shop its a cheep import but it should work for anything i might need now got to learn how to use it so i can build bike parts easier lol cool boss.
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

the bend is too far down the
girder fab 001.jpg
girder fab 001.jpg (145.86 KiB) Viewed 3306 times
girder fab 002.jpg
girder fab 002.jpg (183.63 KiB) Viewed 3306 times
girder fab 003.jpg
girder fab 003.jpg (163.43 KiB) Viewed 3306 times
girder fab 004.jpg
girder fab 004.jpg (172.48 KiB) Viewed 3306 times
girder fab 005.jpg
girder fab 005.jpg (161.61 KiB) Viewed 3306 times
got a lil progress on the girder today made a stand so i could set the frame at ride height and raised an inch in the front so i could get the length of the legs took the bushings out of the links and put some oversize washers on the pins so i could tighten the nut and lock them in position put a level on em to make sure theyre nice n straight and measured em up cut both tubes and fishmouthed them so theyre both exactly the same . im going to run tube for the axl mount so i fishmouthed that end too.now for the fun part bending the trusses i did one spent about 3 hours makeing it real nice tight fit on the long end with a grinder lil at a time got it real close and decided to take some measurements :angry-cussingblack: :angry-banghead: the bend is too far down the leg . while i was realizein how dumb that was i rememberd the hubs were wider than a stock wheel so i decided to check that too :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: it appears im going to have to remake the trees too they need to be 12 inches between the pivots not the 8 the plans call for but oh well i got a good set of trees for the next project
but i think springers are easier so well see . more progress soon
concrete guy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just an Iowa country boy that has been pouring concrete for over 30 years. I have been around for awhile. I have watched 3 forums come and go. I built my first chop with the help of the great guys on this forum. I plan on building a few more. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I don't have the 200 word in me this morning! 8)

Post by concrete guy »

Looking good Curt. The first one is always fun. The only other advice I can give ya is that your axle journals that you will weld on to the bottom of the legs will shrink/deform on the ID.

Scott

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”