curts girder build

Try using this area for frontend information.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: curts girder build

Post by curt »

ya i had the same problem on the springer build i had to run a drill bit through em to true em back up before i weld em to the top link i will put em in the mill and run a bit through em and true em back up thanks for the advice
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

more progress today made new trees turned down the round bar at ten inches on center so everything should still be nice and close together with the wheel im useing . i also picked up some more 1 inch tube so i could remake the trusses for the legs got em all cut and coped fitting nice started makeing the braces for between the trusses and cooked the 1 inch anular cutter but got them all shaped and fitting nice was much easier the second time arround. getting both legs the same was a lil pain but definatly worth the effort. hopefully i can scrounge up another cutter tomorrow i found the anular cutter bits fit in a 3/4 inch collet and work on the milling machine very well. much easier makeing big holes very accuratly with the mill than the magnetic annular cutter.dam smartphone battery died and wasnt able to get pics today but i will tomorrow hopefully i can start welding em together this weekend
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

sucks about the battery.I was hoping to see some pics.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

girder fab 1 003.jpg
girder fab 1 003.jpg (134.1 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
girder fab 1 004.jpg
girder fab 1 004.jpg (138.9 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
girder fab 1 005.jpg
girder fab 1 005.jpg (123.19 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
girder fab 1 006.jpg
girder fab 1 006.jpg (140.93 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
girder fab 1 007.jpg
girder fab 1 007.jpg (138.14 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

girder fab 1 009.jpg
girder fab 1 009.jpg (116.97 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
girder fab 1 014.jpg
girder fab 1 014.jpg (189.58 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
pics from the other day i got everything fitting nice couldnt weld anything cause i didnt have time to get the new annular bit to drill the hole hoping for tomorrow
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Thats some lovely work there Curt.....how you getting such a close fit?
concrete guy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just an Iowa country boy that has been pouring concrete for over 30 years. I have been around for awhile. I have watched 3 forums come and go. I built my first chop with the help of the great guys on this forum. I plan on building a few more. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I don't have the 200 word in me this morning! 8)

Post by concrete guy »

Looks good Curt!
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

nice work dude :clap: :banana-dance:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

Maxthegardener wrote:Thats some lovely work there Curt.....how you getting such a close fit?
i take a marker and color the end of the tube then slide a piece of sandpaper between the two and pull the paper out whatever is shiney needs more sanding repeat a few hundrid times and your there .lol i think springers are easier more parts but easier
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

Post by krymis »

curt you are doing a great job. is this girder going on the same frame as the springer? that is actually how i started making all the frontend. I built one prototype frame and built a springer first. then i built a girder. i then had to wait a while build another frame and built a leafer. the first frame came back when i built my first harman. Now i have one of each to show the customers as they come over. keep up the good job.
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

everything tacked together today starting too look like something
Attachments
girder fab 2 004.jpg
girder fab 2 004.jpg (139.73 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
girder fab 2 003.jpg
girder fab 2 003.jpg (162.7 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
girder fab 2 002.jpg
girder fab 2 002.jpg (166.1 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

krymis wrote:curt you are doing a great job. is this girder going on the same frame as the springer? that is actually how i started making all the frontend. I built one prototype frame and built a springer first. then i built a girder. i then had to wait a while build another frame and built a leafer. the first frame came back when i built my first harman. Now i have one of each to show the customers as they come over. keep up the good job.

no the girder is going on the softail frame in the pics the springer is going on a hardtail i built on the old board ill be posting it again when i start putting it together its in a rolling chassis sittin waitin for me to get futher along with this one
Dan.in.Can
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Dan, i'm 28 years old and i live in Ontario Canada. i grew up in an old school house that my dad fixed up out in the country, just outside a very small town called Hillsdale. i spent most of my childhood working at the farm up the road, so i guess you could say im a country boy. school and me never quite saw eye to eye, not that i wasn't smart enough, but i had a big issue with authority, so i ended up dropping out of highschool to start working in construction. spent about 6 years as a general contractor, but most of the work was in Toronto and i got tired of commuting. now i'm a heavy equipment operator, i spend my summers diggin holes, and my winters plowing snow. i do everything from floating equipment and driving truck, to digging basements and installing septics. I also do quite a bit of maintinence and repairs on our trucks and equipment. thats where i learned to weld (mig & stick) as well as basic mechanical and fabrication skills. i've been with this company for 6 years now. i've been married 7 years now, and we have 2 boys 10 and 12 yrs old. i spend as much of my spare time out on the bike as possible. im riding a F model VTX1800, i try to get away on at least one long trip every year. last couple years me and the guys have rode to north carolina, i love those mountain roads. I've allways dreamed of building a bike, but never thought it was actually a possibility untill i found the CBH website. i read through the OSC build and it completely blew me away, i then read through every article on the site and now i'm a huge fan. everything from the attitude and idea, to the work thats done is fantastic. i'm starting my first bike build real soon, ive got my bender die ordered from jd2 and i've started building the CBH bender. even just skimming through this message board provides more usefull tech knowlege about choppers than the entire web. now im chasing a dream, thanks CBH.

Post by Dan.in.Can »

like watching your progress, you do impressive work :popcorn:
thats a great trick with sandpaper, i'lll have to keep that in mind.
i can think of more than a few times that woulda been handy.
if you have two or three wheels and a smile on your face then its all good
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

Dan.in.Can wrote:like watching your progress, you do impressive work :popcorn:
thats a great trick with sandpaper, i'lll have to keep that in mind.
i can think of more than a few times that woulda been handy.

i actually got the idea from gary on the cd (credit where its due) but thanks
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

002.jpg
002.jpg (228.09 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
003.jpg
003.jpg (196.13 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
004.jpg
004.jpg (157.72 KiB) Viewed 2068 times

got everything on the girder finish welded today gotta pull front tire so i can make spacers for the wheel and figure out what im going to use for a shock but got it in a rolling chassis anyway

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”