Gary's way of cutting thick trees

Try using this area for frontend information.
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

Gary's way of cutting thick trees

Post by krymis »

This is a thread about how to cut thick steel fork trees with minimal tools and even though it looks crude it can produce incredible results if you spend the time to dress and polish the final pieces. To start out you print the tree pattern on some card stock that your printer can handle. All of my trees are small enough to be printed on regular 8.5x11-inch paper. Cut out the pattern and trace it onto you steel stock.
The next step can be done with almost any type of saw including a regular hacksaw but the tool of choice is a reciprocal saw. The key to this operation is in the selection of a blade and most people make the mistake of buying blades that have fine tooth counts like you need for sheet metal work. For thick stock like these 3/4-inch trees you need a short (4" or 6") bi-metal blade with a tooth count of 6, 8, or 10 teeth per inch and the 6 or 8 is preferred. The rule of thumb is to keep 2 teeth in the cut at all times over the cycling action of the saw. Don't use very much pressure. Let the weight of the saw do the work. Don't try to bend the blade and follow any curves. You want to approximate curves by making short straight slices with the saw.
Here's the top and bottom tree cut out. Notice how many small short cuts I made to approximate the curves.
So far this is about $8 worth of hot-rolled steel (try not to use if possible) and close to 30-minutes of cutting with an old dull blade I had. Depending on how much work you want to do with the saw you can keep refining the profile but I usually do most of my shaping with a grinder and/or a belt sander. You don't need a fancy sander and in fact I use the lashup shown in this picture about as much as I use my bench model. I use a 40 grit belt if you can get it but an 80 will also take off a lot of material. I try not to sand down right to the line preferring to do the final sanding/shaping/polishing towards the end of the project.
Next I usually drill the holes, again based upon the pattern I started with originally. You can use hole-saws or drill bits if you have the big ones. The drill press doesn't have to be big or fancy but the table does need to perfectly square with the press quill, and I mean perfectly square otherwise you'll end up with skewed bores.
You can shape, sand, polish and otherwise work the parts down to the flea's knee if you are willing to put in some time but keep checking against the pattern so you don't overdo it.
Spring perches are more complicated and larger but since they are only 5/8-inch material they are very easy to cut. You can see here that I drilled the holes while the stock was still 'square' and this is the preferred method. Also note that I've labeled the 'top' sides of the parts. This is because most hot-rolled stock has a better finish on one side than the other. If at all possible do not under any circumstances use hot-rolled as it is pure crap. I only used it on these trees because I had it on hand already.
I add chamfers to the edges of the parts with the 'roller' part of the belt sander and then smooth them flat with a regular palm sander. Here's the perch about half way thru being shaped and finalized. I still haven't sanded the top or bottom surface yet.
Here's the parts being put together. I generally do the final polishing after assembly so I can smooth down the welds a little bit.
Here are the rough forks on the bike in trial fit. These are not what I would consider to be 'riders' as far as looks go as I didn't spend a lot of time on the pieces since they were needed for a mockup on a tall frame so they are basically a shop tool that I'll be using on some other projects.
From start to finish this was about a 14 hour project but for a nicely finished set of forks it should have taken about 20 to 24 hours.
This method will work relatively easily on steel up to 1-inch thick and then you will begin to notice some kerf to the cuts as the saw blade deflects too much. The secret is not to use pressure, that way the blade stays straight, make many short cuts, not long ones, and let the saw do the work. Don't hurry. Pay attention to the details. This is not at all hard to do and I've actually done it with a handsaw back before I could afford a power saw.
Of course the ultimate way to build these is with a good band saw or a milling machine but it can be done with hand tools if you have the desire. That's the key to almost anything. How much desire you have to create something, not how much money you have.
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Re: Gary's way of cutting thick trees

Post by rudog »

Good job!!
sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Post by sleepyonthree »

:text-goodpost:
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Sears has Sawzall blades on sale right now
5 pack of 8" for $7.97, 8-12 TPI
Might be able to get 6 TPI also.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
BIGJIM
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am not a bum. I'm a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.

Post by BIGJIM »

Great Post!
I have read on other forums that we are "To technical", anyone reading this post should see we are a simple lot, don't be afraid to join the forum and ask questions, the more the merrier! :mrgreen:
concrete guy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just an Iowa country boy that has been pouring concrete for over 30 years. I have been around for awhile. I have watched 3 forums come and go. I built my first chop with the help of the great guys on this forum. I plan on building a few more. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I don't have the 200 word in me this morning! 8)

Post by concrete guy »

I love it! This is a great post to show what you can do with simple hand tools if you have the desire. Kudos!
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

I've seen similar remarks at some of the other boards. I've also seen the horrible advice given out at some of the other boards so I'm pretty glad that we're 'too technical', wish the other places were a little more technical than they are but everyplace seems to attract a different type of visitor.
However I do think that it's ashamed that so many people hold off on doing a project because they think they need a milling machine or lath just to make some basic parts. It's all part of the 'techno-myth' as I like to call it, that's deliberately created to keep the average guy in the dark while the so-called 'professional builders' get to make some bucks cutting parts for a guy who could be cutting them himself. Don't even get me going about flame-cutting as most folks nowadays would think I was crazy for recommending such an antique fabrication procedure.
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

By the way cutting parts, even 1-inch thick parts with a metal cutting band saw is actually far more cost effective than farming parts out to a water-jet or plasma cutting outfit if you're only doing a limited number of parts. For me I think that cutting 2 to 4 trees on a bandsaw every week is about the breakoff point where mass-production with a water-jet comes into play. For one-off projects nothing beats the old Saws-all and a good belt/disc sander as far as costs go.
Jim Sawyer
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 25,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it

Post by Jim Sawyer »

Parts of My build were done with "High tech" elaborate tools, and parts of My build were done with basic tools. I find it much more relaxing , enjoyable & satisfying to make parts with simple & basic tools.
I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 71,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

I really like this write up.Seeing it done makes it less intimidating as first thought.Were those spring retainers bought or made? Also what are the bushings for?
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
gww25
Site Grandaddy

Post by gww25 »

The retainers are stock Harley parts. I try to use as many stock off-the-shelf parts as possible but a person can substitute regular old bronze bushings. They act the 'guides' for the spring rods as the sprung legs move through their suspension motion.
joechop
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: engineer working in construction industry and living outside of Pittsburgh PA. I recently completed my first build and hopefully more to come. officially started a side business for v-twin restomods... Vadori Designs.

Post by joechop »

....hey Dan... bring back any memories?

Nice write up. Personally, never did it this way with large parts as these.... but i'm inspired.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

nope, nothing at all. of course, my therapist says i'm blocking out a traumatic experience. something involving hours and hours of cutting inch-thick metal with a hand-held angle grinder with a cutting blade (actually about a hundred or so cutting blades, i'd say).

but ya know, i loved every minute of it. :twisted:

this thread rocks. why? because i'm sick of people whining that they would like to have their own springer, but they just don't have the tools. BS. they don't have the desire, is what they don't have. don't have the knowledge? we'll help you. don't have 10,000 dollars' worth of tools? i don't wanna hear it. now i ain't knocking the folks with the tools at their disposal. i'm just saying that with the proper knowledge, there's always an affordable way.

if nothing else, i'll break out the grinder and help ya.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

its amazing how well those disks cut and how many you go through
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Great information man, gotta get back to finishing my springer plate shapeing and drilling out the holes. I use cutting disks and my reciprocating saw to also get them cutt out, just takes patience and time. :D

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”