My Leafer Build

Try using this area for frontend information.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

My Leafer Build

Post by Jeff L »

I got really motivated about building my front end after seeing Krymis's write up on cutting trees.I plan a little variation of the original plans(Garys from the old CBH).I mocked up a set of trees for my leafer & got them set up on the bike.I did them in wood first cause I wanted to see if I like how they come out before I do them in steel.I also picked up some cheap pipe so if my design doesnt look good theres not much time or material wasted.Unfortunatly now I'm on hold till my spokes come in from Buchanans.Once I get the wheel built, I can make up the legs to fit.
DCFC0009.JPG
DCFC0009.JPG (37.29 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
DCFC0011.JPG
DCFC0011.JPG (34.98 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: My Leafer Build

Post by curt »

looks good so far
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Nice one Jeff..
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

I did a real crude mock up of the design for my legs.The axle will be ahead of the pivot point, so I guess it will act more like a springer than a traditional leafer.For some reason the tube looks really beefy, dont know if its just that theyre black.I really want the front to look thin, kinda spindly but not compromise on srength.I'm thinking dropping down a little on diameter of tube or maybe go with solid.Does anyone know about stength vs. tubing size?How much I'll be giving up with something like 3/4" vs. 1". Or is solid a good choice or not?
DCFC0002-1.JPG
DCFC0002-1.JPG (20.16 KiB) Viewed 5230 times
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

black will make it look fatter chrome will make it look slimmer on the same size tube
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

Post by krymis »

jeff,

first thanks for mentioning me. choppers are truly my life and teaching guys about building them is the next best thing. as for tubing remember that the harman girder was made of 1!"x.065 wall tubing. they were able to make them that thin because of the girder leg construction. The design of the leg has a lot to do with how thin of tubing you can use. solid will have a lot of benefits like not worrying about the weld stress at the trees and the tubing actually sheering int he HAZ. the big draw back is weight. the front will weight about 2.5X as much as if you used tubing. i can say i would be okay with my bike having a regular girder leg leafer at .75" solid stock but then again i have built springers out of .120 wall tubing.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

I think I just might see how 3/4 solid looks.The added weight isnt to much of a concern, the front end from top of tree to rocker is only 2ft.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

curt wrote:black will make it look fatter chrome will make it look slimmer on the same size tube
Man..youre not kidding.I pulled out an old Springer I have that uses 1" legs & they do look alot thinner than the black tube.
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

Keep in mind that 1" tubing of 'X' wall thickness is three times stiffer than 3/4" tubing with the same wall thickness so if you want to go down to 3/4" tubing you'll have to increa the wall thickness significantly. For example to match the stiffness of .120 wall 1" tubing you'd have to use 7/8" solid steel bar. solid 3/4" bar is really very weak having a moment of inertia of only 0.012 which is the same as 3/4" tubing with a .120 wall so just because it's solid doesn't mean it's stronger or stiffer than tubing. I personally would not use anything less than 1" tubing on your particular design since there is no 'girder' effect for the lower portion of the leg so even with 1" tubing you'll still need a wall thickness of around .25".
Of course this assumes that I'm seeing your mockup correctly and that the lower segment of the leg is not triangulated.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

Yes, you are seeing it correctly.I actually was thinking of adding a peice on the lower portion if I went down in size.Would this be enough to strengthen the legs if I went with 3/4 solid?
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

It would be well over twice as strong if you extend the rear leg in one piece to the pivot point and then the front leg could be made in two parts forming an elongated 'S' shape as shown in your picture. I think you'll find that 7/8" material looks far better than 3/4". The old Indian forks were made with 7/8" and look well proportioned for a bike about the size of yours. The old rule of thumb is for the fork tube diameters to match the frame tube diameter or perhaps just slightly smaller. There are 'side-loads' on forks as well as compression loads and you can build a very thin fork that handles the compression loads but will flex like mad when you're cornering or hit a bump 'off-center'.
gww25
Site Grandaddy

Post by gww25 »

I also just realized that you used 'pipe' for the mockup. Remember that 1" pipe is way bigger than 1" tubing and even 3/4" pipe is slightly larger than 1" tubing.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

yeah you know I didnt even think of that when I threw it up.I also think you were right about 3/4 not being a good choice. I did another mock up useing 1"(Aluminum bar).Went with the girder type leg.I think I may make another set of trees with zero offset, so I can give the rear legs a nice gentle bend.
DCFC0001.JPG
DCFC0001.JPG (17.55 KiB) Viewed 5182 times
gww25
Site Grandaddy

Post by gww25 »

From the looks of things you could still do curved rear legs if you check your trail figures. From the mockup picture it looks like trail will be close to zero as it now sits and you can easily go out to 5" so make a fullsize drawing on cardboard to finalize the geometry.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

My intentions are to run the axle ahead of the pivot( have seen this on 1 or 2 other frontends & prefer the look over the trailing link).Of course, never running a leafer I wouldnt know whether the ride is going to be better or worse in this position.Plugging my numbers in to one of the r&t caculators Im coming up with 3.08" for trail.I will do a full scale drawing before I finalize anything.

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”