My Leafer Build

Try using this area for frontend information.
triker_chewie
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: chewie from perth western australia. i'm triking up a vw and chopping up a yamaha and repairing broken tools. jeez 200 characters is a lot. GOT A WIFE AND KIDS SPENDING ALL MY PLAY MOEY ON FOOD AND CLOTHES AND OTHER USELESS SHIT sorry bout the caps put them on for the code thing

Re: My Leafer Build

Post by triker_chewie »

gww25 wrote:Bushings work better than bearings on forks so I'd stay with regular ol bushings.
bearings work best when going round like on a axle. the bushing suits the rockers travel better
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Jeff...thats gonna look way nice mate....even thought I still think its blue.....real nice how did you do the trees?
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

gww25 wrote:Bushings work better than bearings on forks so I'd stay with regular ol bushings.
Thanks...kinda thought thats what I was gonna hear.I had a couple bearings handy, so I figured Id ask.I'll make a list & place an order.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Maxthegardener wrote:Jeff...thats gonna look way nice mate....even thought I still think its blue.....real nice how did you do the trees?
The original trees were traced from the plans.The trees with zero offset I drew up.Wound up making 2 sets in wood cause the 1st ones didnt clear the tanks.Cut them with my shitty little band saw.Seemed to take forever, but afterwards when I saw the finished product, it was very satifying.....and you need to get your glasses checked...its green brother....hahaha
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

My rockers are almost finished.A little more fine shaping.Still need to figure out how to finish off the front of the tubes.My spokes are supposed to be in this week, so I'll be able to make the rod from the axle to the spring.
Attachments
IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG (145.52 KiB) Viewed 3786 times
IMG_0030.JPG
IMG_0030.JPG (116.27 KiB) Viewed 3786 times
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

Made up my rocker bushings.With nothing to go by other than the bushings that were in my Columbus customs springer,I just copied them.I figured they've been in there for probably 40+ years & are still holding up.
Attachments
IMG_0031.JPG
IMG_0031.JPG (125.9 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
IMG_0032.JPG
IMG_0032.JPG (124.68 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
IMG_0033.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG (120.02 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Cool, what kind of materials did you use, and where did you get them?
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

The small spacers & bushings I picked up at Lowes.The bushings will be replaced with oil lites when my order to McMaster Carr is big enough.I neede 3/8' for the rockers to clear the tubes so I took a 1"hole saw to a peice of 3/8' plate & drilled to fit the spacer, which is welded on the back side.The bushings are just slightly thinner than the spacer so when it bolts down the spacer bottoms out but the rocker & bushing move freely.Seems like its gonna work fine.Like I said this set up was on my springer for god knows how long & its still works.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

I got some more done tonight.
little finish welding,Started playing around with spring rod designs, & figuring my handle bars.I really not so happy with the rockers.I think they look to fat.I might see if I can cut they down alittle or maybe make new ones.
Attachments
IMG_0040.JPG
IMG_0040.JPG (154 KiB) Viewed 3754 times
IMG_0039.JPG
IMG_0039.JPG (161.28 KiB) Viewed 3754 times
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

They might look better when you have a wheel behind them...
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

thats some real nice work
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

railroad bob wrote:They might look better when you have a wheel behind them...
Maybe, I finally got my spokes so Soon as I powder the rim I can lace it up & see
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

curt wrote:thats some real nice work
Thanks man...Im happy with the way its coming out.Good thing Ive had some help on this one.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Jeff L wrote:I think they look to fat.

These are FAT.

rakeNtrail
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just a grumpy old welder/chopperhedd Spent far too much time burning wire for a living but hey, one does have to pay the bills ya know! Worked shipyards and fab shops welding about everything stick, mig, tig and sub-arc. Both hand held and automated. Worked weekends in a Honda shop in the late 70's and in an all bike shop in the late 80's thru early 90's. Likes? Choppers, rock-N-roll, NRA and boobies! Dislikes? PC, VD, AARP & NAACP I'm pro business and totally against big government interfering in our daily lives. Live free or die baby and you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands. Do love little children and puppies though. Both of them can turn me into a 300lb. old softie!

Post by rakeNtrail »

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”