Leg "spuds"

Try using this area for frontend information.
Drake9
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am active duty USAF and have built a 81 Ironhead chop. I have the bike building bug and I dont want to shake it. Here to learn as much as I can and hopefully give advise to some others as well. I recently picked up a 71 Triumph 650 basket case motor from a good buddy for pretty cheap. I plan on getting that thing built then building a motorcycle around it. Not 100 percent sure on the direction I am going to go with it but it should be fun and keep me busy. I also enjoy building my own tools when I can. I have picked up most the metal to build a tube bender and have plans to build my own porta-band stand and lift.

Leg "spuds"

Post by Drake9 »

Does anybody know somewhere that is already producing "leg spuds". I hope that is what they are called. It is the bottom part that is machined to attach the legs to the rockers. I have seen several people just use round stock welded perpendicular to the legs, I think Curt did his this way. I like the looks better of the spuds but I dont have a mill or lathe.

Thanks
Jake
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: Leg "spuds"

Post by curt »

if ya find em let me kno im thinkin of changeing mine
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
Drake9
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am active duty USAF and have built a 81 Ironhead chop. I have the bike building bug and I dont want to shake it. Here to learn as much as I can and hopefully give advise to some others as well. I recently picked up a 71 Triumph 650 basket case motor from a good buddy for pretty cheap. I plan on getting that thing built then building a motorcycle around it. Not 100 percent sure on the direction I am going to go with it but it should be fun and keep me busy. I also enjoy building my own tools when I can. I have picked up most the metal to build a tube bender and have plans to build my own porta-band stand and lift.

Post by Drake9 »

Yeah I have talked with and crime scene Choppers with no luck. Pearson is to busy with builds and crime scene didn't really give a reason just that they weren't making them any more.

Curt, I would be interested in hearing why you want to change yours. Is it a looks thing or do you think the spuds would be better?
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

Post by krymis »

the handbook is making some to be for sale i believe.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

Drake9 wrote:Yeah I have talked with and crime scene Choppers with no luck. Pearson is to busy with builds and crime scene didn't really give a reason just that they weren't making them any more.

Curt, I would be interested in hearing why you want to change yours. Is it a looks thing or do you think the spuds would be better?
the rim i used is much wider than a stock hub and wont let me fit a brake rotor with the setup i used the spuds would recess the hardware so i can put brakes on .i like u didnt have axcess to a mill at the time either so i made it the way i have it but would be fine if i wasnt running the rim that i am
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Drake9
NewB

Post by Drake9 »

krymis wrote:the handbook is making some to be for sale i believe.
This is interesting, any more information?
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

Sent MechWerks a PM and will see if he answers.... has anyone asked BigJim...?
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Hi guys, it would be real cool to be able to buy the leg spuds from someone who can make them. Still working on my springer build and will need some spuds also, some of us do not have a lathe or no how to use one to make them. :D
sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Post by sleepyonthree »

Curt, have you considered turning the basic shape on your lathe, then setting the lathe to do milling for the finish up. Not sure what all is involved but
have seen it done. The slide travel is shorter than on a true milling machine but should handle what needs be done for the flats.
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

i have a mill now i have made some to use but havent had time to put em in yet
Drake9
NewB

Post by Drake9 »

Curt if you can make them and are willing to cut up another set let me know. I can send you the specs for the tubing I am using. I have some old Finch legs that I am going to use. Let me know
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

send me the specs it might be a lil while but i will do em for ya i havent had time to build a radius tool yet so the bottom wont be rounded off ill post pics of mine tomorrow so u can see if u like em
Drake9
NewB

Post by Drake9 »

I will try to get the measurements tonight of the rear legs. I know the OD is 1 1/4" not sure of ID though. I would love to see what you came up with for yours.
BIGJIM
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am not a bum. I'm a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.

Post by BIGJIM »

yona wrote:Sent MechWerks a PM and will see if he answers.... has anyone asked BigJim...?
Not able at this time. :roll:

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”