Harman

Try using this area for frontend information.
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

Re: Harman

Post by krymis »

man i really just forgot. have a lot of family stuff going on. with the daughters activities. Sorry guys. I will get them around as i put a stickit on the bike just a minute ago.
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

Post by krymis »

the OG harman springs were 14.5" long, .118" dia wire with 41 full coils and a ground flat coil on each end to make the full 42. They were topped of with a nylon bushing at the top and a metal weld in retainer at the bottom. they had 6* of rake built into the whole front end.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

krymis wrote:they had 6* of rake built into the whole front end.
Thanks for sharing this info, I'll never build one but it's very interesting anyway.

Learn something new everyday, didn't know forks could have rake built in. All I ever knew about was in the neck or trees.
How would someone be able to tell? If you know what to look for, can you tell just by looking, or do you measure the angle compared with the fork stem,
or some other way?
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
krymis
Conventioneer

Post by krymis »

the angle compared to the fork stem but also the webbing hole on the lower tree mount. You can see on the sporty, big twin, and jap bikes they are different. On top of that the new ones have a cam that makes that angle adjustable from 0*, 3*, AND 6*.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Thanks...
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
BIGJIM
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am not a bum. I'm a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.

Post by BIGJIM »

rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

This

Post by rudog »

is a fascinating thread. If your looking for custom springs, the companies listed are good ones. There are few who aren't. I would look for someone small, local and hungry.

Krymis, what is the OD of the spring and ID of the tube?
concrete guy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just an Iowa country boy that has been pouring concrete for over 30 years. I have been around for awhile. I have watched 3 forums come and go. I built my first chop with the help of the great guys on this forum. I plan on building a few more. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I don't have the 200 word in me this morning! 8)

Post by concrete guy »

krymis wrote:the OG harman springs were 14.5" long, .118" dia wire with 41 full coils and a ground flat coil on each end to make the full 42. They were topped of with a nylon bushing at the top and a metal weld in retainer at the bottom. they had 6* of rake built into the whole front end.

Thank You!
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Thankyou for that Chris, some food for thought....Found the site below full of contacts for spring help...

http://home.earthlink.net/~bazillion/resources.html
hose_dragger
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Former member of CBH....learning the ways to chop. Had a few bikes before....a few now...and lots more to come. Currently on a trike build, and a bike build. Thanks for having me back on board Dan. Hopefully I will do you guys proud!

Post by hose_dragger »

I had these wound for a spirder build I did a while ago....

9" long with finished ends
.135 wire
.375 ID to slip fit a 3/8" rod
OD is .650 this was so I could fit a 1" DOM tube with .120 wall

If I remember right the front end had a spring weight of 125 lbs (but mind is getting older and I may not be accurate on that)
Attachments
100_0001.jpg
100_0001.jpg (120.72 KiB) Viewed 4330 times
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Love to see one of these put together....Great info

Eurobods....http://www.industrial-enclosures.com/ht ... lator.html
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

hose_dragger wrote:I had these wound for a spirder build I did a while ago....
Did it go on one of your bikes?
Maxthegardener
Builder

Post by Maxthegardener »

;)

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”