"Assembled" steering stem?

Try using this area for frontend information.
Nero
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm an informatic engineer who just happened to leave his (relatively well paid) job to follow his passion and going to work at minimum wage as a CAD designer and a welder in a CNC laser cutting & general sheet metal fabrication shop.
In the meanwhile, I try to build a killer bike with whatever I have at hand...

"Assembled" steering stem?

Post by Nero »

Hi guys,
I was planning about using some SKF bearings with an internal hole of 25mm (1") for my bike (I've already have them) and place them on an accordingly dimensioned steering stem turned in the lathe from a mild steel 25mm bar, threaded in the upper portion to an M24x3mm to accept the jam nut and the steering nut.
This was the original plan, but then I thought that maybe I could save some work if I just bought a 24mm threaded bar (maybe 10.9, so that I will be quite sure that it's strong enough for the task..), screw and weld it into the tapped lower yoke, and sleeve & plug weld it with a bushing of 25mm OD (and obviously 24mm ID) for the remaining part, except for the final part, where I will need the threads once again. Something like what it's often done to build a girder's shaft, I mean.
What do you think, is the sleeve going to be a little bit too thin? (it will end up having a wall thickness of 0.5mm, which, btw, is about 0.02"...)
At the end it 's there just to "thicken" up the threaded bar up to the right size to have an interference fit with the lower bearing, and I don't think it will deform while I press/hammer it in, because there's always the threaded bar inside... right? :roll:
What I'm currently working at (and some free Italian's lessons also :D ) : http://costafabbricustomchoppers.blogspot.com/
jimmib
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello everyone. first of all a big thanks to "Dan the Man". Some of you know me from the previous (2) boards and some don't, so here goes. I have been a fabricator/welder for over 40 years now. Damn that's a helluva long time to do anything! Anyways, I have built literaly 100's of street rods, pro streeters, racecars, bikes and trikes over the years. Never made the headlines and never will. I do what I do because it is the love of my life.
I enjoy reading the posts on the forum and try to contribute when I can. I am sure that this will be every bit as good as the CBH forum, as we will have most of the same folks. Good luck and post a lot of pics!! Jim

Re: "Assembled" steering stem?

Post by jimmib »

#1, I would not do this for a steering stem. You would probably wind up crushing the thin sleeve and threads on the bar, (if not when you press it together, over a short period from stress). It doesn't take much for steering to make an ill handling bike. Another note, no matter what the material is, when you weld it it changes the properties of the material. Make or have a stem made from 1018 cold roll. Guess there is no #2!
Just my $.02
Whoa!...Musta stood up too fast...
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
An optomist is no more than a pessimist with an idea.
Gun control is hitting what you are aiming at.....
Nero
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm an informatic engineer who just happened to leave his (relatively well paid) job to follow his passion and going to work at minimum wage as a CAD designer and a welder in a CNC laser cutting & general sheet metal fabrication shop.
In the meanwhile, I try to build a killer bike with whatever I have at hand...

Re: "Assembled" steering stem?

Post by Nero »

I ended up doing just like you suggested..
Many thanks
Steering Stem
Steering Stem
DSCF1155.JPG (104.42 KiB) Viewed 3381 times
What I'm currently working at (and some free Italian's lessons also :D ) : http://costafabbricustomchoppers.blogspot.com/

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”