Hole saw through metal

Try using this area for frontend information.
Cycle-psycho
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I've loved motorcycles all my life! I have a 2006 Dyna that ive been customizing and I am now taking on the task of building a custom chopper!
I have some mechanical skills, but im not a professional mechanic or welder. Simply a home garage type of mechanic.

Hole saw through metal

Post by Cycle-psycho »

Hey,
Im building my springer and i have the trees cut out and pilot holes drilled. I have started to try to cut the 1.25" holes for the legs and im using a bi-metal holes saw and a drill press. Im finding it is realy sloooooow, almost not cutting. Is this normal? Should i be drilling on high speed with less torque or low speed with high torque? What lube should i use?
Any tips and info would be realy appreciated. At this rate, it seems like i will be standing at the drill press for days to do one hole!
-----------------
Cycle-psycho
2006 Dyna - with lots of goodies
2012 Ultima rigid - under construction
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Re: Hole saw through metal

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

http://www.chopperhandbook.com/springbuild.htm

scroll to Fig. 44-45.

The few times I've done this, I usually go pretty slow.
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

Run the drill between 350-400 rpm. You can use almost any type of lub. Don't put much pressure on the press handle, let the saw do the work. It does go slow but it'll go through eventually.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

lots of lube and easy on the pressure heat the saw too much and its junk its slow but works supriseingly well
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Cycle-psycho
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I've loved motorcycles all my life! I have a 2006 Dyna that ive been customizing and I am now taking on the task of building a custom chopper!
I have some mechanical skills, but im not a professional mechanic or welder. Simply a home garage type of mechanic.

Post by Cycle-psycho »

Thanks guys.
I actually figured it out anyways, i was drilling way too quick. I slowed it right down and away she went!
-----------------
Cycle-psycho
2006 Dyna - with lots of goodies
2012 Ultima rigid - under construction

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”