Springer Welding, Need some clarification?

Try using this area for frontend information.
cartierusm
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Been building choppers on and off my whole life. Right now I'm working on a custom ground up sportster. I just finished the building the frame and am working on the springer front end. I first started out in 2001 or so making frames from scratch. I actually went and spent the day with Gary Weishaupt when he lived in Napa, CA. He taught me a lot.

Springer Welding, Need some clarification?

Post by cartierusm »

So I'm in the process of building the springer from gary's plans. What I don't notice is what parts need to be welded aside from the tube leg lugs and threaded inserts.

Does the bottom tree get welded onto the rear tubes? If so how do you set the correct distance PERFECTLY?

Also does the 'spring plate', named according to the plans, the part that the springs attach to and also slides onto the rear tubes, get welded to the rear tubes? And what is that distance if they do get welded?

Am i missing anything else? Thanks.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: Springer Welding, Need some clarification?

Post by curt »

yes both plates get welded to the rear legs the lower tree will depend on the steering neck you use what i did was assemble the neck with all the bearings and nuts everything and measure it out and the spring plate will depend on the length of your assembled springs with the weight of the bike and you on it i used locking collars clamped to the legs above the plate and put weights on it sat on it got it set so the lower spring perch (where the legs attach) 2 and 1/2 inch below the lower tree so there was no chance it would interfere with the lower tree and welded it up if you go by the plans thats it for welding real simple front ends minimal welding i havent riden mine but im impressed with the feel and looks of it so far i have it in a roller and pushed it arround a lil i havent had a better feelin front end yet good luck
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
cartierusm
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Been building choppers on and off my whole life. Right now I'm working on a custom ground up sportster. I just finished the building the frame and am working on the springer front end. I first started out in 2001 or so making frames from scratch. I actually went and spent the day with Gary Weishaupt when he lived in Napa, CA. He taught me a lot.

Post by cartierusm »

Great. Thanks.
cartierusm
NewB

Post by cartierusm »

Well got the springer built.

There is a part that bolts the two spring rods together at the top, it's called the spring bridge. Is that necessary to have? I noticed most springers do not have it, but the plans from gary does. I made it, I just think it looks better without it.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

every springer i ever rode didnt have one so i dont think they are totaly necessary but i can see the bennefits from haveing one like helping keep both springs a lil more ballanced bet someone with more experience will be able to give a better opionion
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
cartierusm
NewB

Post by cartierusm »

Thanks I figure the same thing, can't hurt but if your spring rods are solid you should have no problem.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Do you have pictures ?
sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Post by sleepyonthree »

cartierusm wrote:Well got the springer built.

There is a part that bolts the two spring rods together at the top, it's called the spring bridge. Is that necessary to have? I noticed most springers do not have it, but the plans from gary does. I made it, I just think it looks better without it.
With it already made you can always compare your ride with and without once your up and running. See if there's any noticeable handling differences and which you prefer.
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

This is part of a springer kit on another site.

Food For Thought
Food For Thought
Polished Brass Spring Rod Stabilizer.JPG (23.04 KiB) Viewed 4324 times
cartierusm
NewB

Post by cartierusm »

Pictures here! I built and machined everything myself, motor and wheels aside.
Attachments
20120630_102507.jpg
20120630_102507.jpg (184.67 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
20120630_102500.jpg
20120630_102500.jpg (246.94 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
20120630_102446.jpg
20120630_102446.jpg (196.82 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
20120630_102440.jpg
20120630_102440.jpg (152.77 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
20120627_190324.jpg
20120627_190324.jpg (181.42 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
20120627_190312.jpg
20120627_190312.jpg (193.47 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
cartierusm
NewB

Post by cartierusm »

One more.
Attachments
20120630_102513.jpg
20120630_102513.jpg (200.42 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

now that is real nice work there man it came out real well i like the nice bevel you got on the edges
cartierusm
NewB

Post by cartierusm »

Thanks, I machined them with a corner rounding bit.
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Very Nice... :popcorn:
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

great looking work, there. looks like you got it all figured out quite well.

as far as the spring bridge thing, i wouldn't worry too much about not having it. i ran the springer i built from Gary's plans without one and had no problems at all. of course it may have ridden even better with one, but i loved the way it rode so i didn't mess with it.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”