Springer Welding, Need some clarification?

Try using this area for frontend information.
cartierusm
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Been building choppers on and off my whole life. Right now I'm working on a custom ground up sportster. I just finished the building the frame and am working on the springer front end. I first started out in 2001 or so making frames from scratch. I actually went and spent the day with Gary Weishaupt when he lived in Napa, CA. He taught me a lot.

Re: Springer Welding, Need some clarification?

Post by cartierusm »

I don't see it making much difference, using logic it doesn't seem like it would have that much affect unless your spring rods were crap. But then again it's the little things that sometimes matter.
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

Really great looking bike in all respects and you did an outstanding job on the forks.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Great job on the springer. I like the headlight placement. Any info on the copper tank; how did you fabricate; going to polish it?
cartierusm
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Been building choppers on and off my whole life. Right now I'm working on a custom ground up sportster. I just finished the building the frame and am working on the springer front end. I first started out in 2001 or so making frames from scratch. I actually went and spent the day with Gary Weishaupt when he lived in Napa, CA. He taught me a lot.

Post by cartierusm »

Thanks for all the compliments. I took standard measurements from online for a round oil bag, which they want an unseemly amount of money for and used those dimensions to make this one. It's a 6" round piece of copper tube 11 7/8" long. What you don't see in the pic are on the ends are going 1/4"-20 Button Head Stainless Bolts, just for decoration. In the top goes a pop up vented gas cap for filling.

I'm almost done sanding the rough spots then I'll polish it. I'm not sure if I'll clear coat it to keep it polished or just let nature do it's thing. I'm going with a copper theme for this bike I've always loved the look of copper and wanted to do one long before OCC did. I wanted to have the forks copper plated but they want like $500 to do it and that's just too much for me right now. I might try using good automotive two part paint in copper color. I'm making just about everything from scratch. Today I'll be redoing the front brake caliper to allow it to be position closer to the forks. The Air cleaner when I design and make it will also be copper. I'll be running hard lines for the brakes out of copper as well.
cartierusm
NewB

Post by cartierusm »

Ok so the bike is almost done on mock up, meaning ready to ride around the block before being registered, then broken down for paint.

So the question is since the bike is on the ground should I be able to make the front end move by putting my weight on it and pushing up and down? Because the springs don't move at all. Now granted I have both sets of springs on; the inner and outer for both top and bottom, so there is a lot of strength there.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

i can on mine but im 300 lbs
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
cartierusm
NewB

Post by cartierusm »

Should I remove the inner springs on both top and bottom if I'm gonna try that?
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

part of it may be that it just needs to be ridden a bit to let it wear in and loosen up a bit. on mine, it took a few miles before it really started getting sweet. i don't recall it ever sinking like telescopic forks when i pushed down on it, though.

take care,
-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
cartierusm
NewB

Post by cartierusm »

Ok i'll try that.

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”