Two questions

Try using this area for frontend information.
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Re: Two questions

Post by gww25 »

Heres a snapshot of the top tree parts, Two different styles of lock nuts are shown, one uses a tabbed washer.
Attachments
stempost3.JPG
stempost3.JPG (162.28 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

The big thing on the far left is a combo dust sheild/adjuster nut that goes right on top of the bearing if you want to use it as it saves some space in the stack.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

i think bitterend uses 5/8 in plate for their springers thats y only 1 inch of threads do a good trial fit useing the diagram gary posted with the dust shield incorporated into the lower nut . if its not enough thread left then youll have to add some threads then when everything fits weld the stem to the bottom tree the jam nut just locks the stem the threads hold it so even if you dont weld it perfect it should be enough to keep it from backing out of course i would try and get it welded by someone that knows how to weld stainless to regular steel as a first choice
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Cycle-psycho
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I've loved motorcycles all my life! I have a 2006 Dyna that ive been customizing and I am now taking on the task of building a custom chopper!
I have some mechanical skills, but im not a professional mechanic or welder. Simply a home garage type of mechanic.

Post by Cycle-psycho »

Thanks guys. I will do a trial fit when I get home with the parts I have. What I am reading in all of this is that the hole in the top tree that the stem will go through should probably be counterbored from the top and the bottom to accomodate the nuts. If I counterbored it 1/4" on both sides, that might do it.
As for the bottom tree to stem connection, I am thinking about drilling in a dowel into the stem from the backside and welding it in the tree. That way I dont have to try to weld stainless to steel and I would know the stem wont turn, does that sound like it would work?
-----------------
Cycle-psycho
2006 Dyna - with lots of goodies
2012 Ultima rigid - under construction

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”