Girder's shafts slack?

Try using this area for frontend information.
Nero
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm an informatic engineer who just happened to leave his (relatively well paid) job to follow his passion and going to work at minimum wage as a CAD designer and a welder in a CNC laser cutting & general sheet metal fabrication shop.
In the meanwhile, I try to build a killer bike with whatever I have at hand...

Girder's shafts slack?

Post by Nero »

Hi guys,
I've fabricated the links for my girder, and the hole in them is a tight fit with the Oilite bushings (I have to put them in place with light taps of a plastic mallet).
Instead, I have some slack between the bushings inside holes and the girder shafts... is it acceptable to have some freeplay in there, or should it be a really accurate fit?
Many thanks,
nero
What I'm currently working at (and some free Italian's lessons also :D ) : http://costafabbricustomchoppers.blogspot.com/
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Re: Girder's shafts slack?

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

I checked your saddlebag fab. Nice job. I like metal rather than fiberglass.
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

How much slack do you have. You should not be able to 'wobble' the shafts inside the bushing. The shaft should be a firm push fit in the bushing when the assembly is first put together. You can buy 'oversized' bushings if necessary or buy the next smaller 'standard' size and ream it to fit with an adjustable reamer.
Nero
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm an informatic engineer who just happened to leave his (relatively well paid) job to follow his passion and going to work at minimum wage as a CAD designer and a welder in a CNC laser cutting & general sheet metal fabrication shop.

Post by Nero »

I'll try to measure the slack with a feeler gauge, but in the meanwhile, if I understand correctly, if I have to push the shaft inside the link+bushing assembly with a little effort, at the beginning the link shouldn't turn as easily as if there was a roller bearing in there, correct? Then with the bike weight and after some miles, everything should set up correctly by itself... right?

@hansgoudzwaard:
I've just had them powder coated, then I've glued some foam inside. Now it's the black&red stripes turn (no Guzzi logo on top for now, the bike owner said) and they're done... I'll post the final result when they're completed.. ;)
What I'm currently working at (and some free Italian's lessons also :D ) : http://costafabbricustomchoppers.blogspot.com/
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

Exactly right. You want it snug and a realtively tight at first assembly but you should still be able to move everything with some 'mild' hand pressure on the forks. If the fork just flops around it's to loose and if you have to bust a gut to move the forks then it's to tight. To tight will take care of itself over time but to loose is a non-starter.
Once the bushings get worn in they should last for about 50,000 miles without needing replacement. I find that bushing will outlast bearings by a 4 to 1 ratio on springers and girders so I still can't figure out why some builders still insist on using bearings. A good adjustable reamer is a fork builders best friend. If push comes to shove you can use a brake cylinder hone.
Nero
Tourist

Post by Nero »

Many thanks Gary, now it's perfectly clear.. that I have to machine some new shafts.. :mrgreen: :angry-banghead: but luckily I did only 3 of them... :roll:
BTW, I've never used an adjustable reamer before, for some reason I've had always thought that they weren't any good (not accurate enough, or just to cumbersome to adjust to the right measure) but maybe it's time that I give them a shot.. ;)
Thanks again!
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Desperate Copyright... ;) bit of tube ..rod, with a slot
Attachments
Clutch%20cylinder%20003%20(Large)%20(Small)%20(2).jpg
Clutch%20cylinder%20003%20(Large)%20(Small)%20(2).jpg (21.13 KiB) Viewed 8597 times
BIGJIM
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am not a bum. I'm a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.

Post by BIGJIM »

:laughing-rolling:
gww25
Site Grandaddy

Post by gww25 »

I didn't want to mention the 'garage' methods of sizing holes as we here get all to many comments on other boards about being 'rude and crude' and 'unprofessional'. I personally think those comments are actually a compliment but I don't want the site visitors to have that type of thing attached to their own methods of doing things. I'm the King of jury-rigging so nothing bothers me with respect to procedures but other people can get pretty anal about stuff. Most folks here actually do stuff in the real world so they understand about wrapping emery cloth around your finger but at some other places most people just talk about doing stuff and some of our 'workarounds' just sound weird to them.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

thats why we are on this site and they are on the other sites just talking about it
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Nero
Tourist

Post by Nero »

hansgoudzwaard wrote:I checked your saddlebag fab. Nice job. I like metal rather than fiberglass.
Saddlebags completed, you can check them in the sheet metal section of the board if you like.
sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Post by sleepyonthree »

gww25 wrote: "snippage" I'm the King of jury-rigging so nothing bothers me with respect to procedures but other people can get pretty anal about stuff. Most folks here actually do stuff in the real world so they understand about wrapping emery cloth around your finger but at some other places most people just talk about doing stuff and some of our 'workarounds' just sound weird to them.

Now thats a statement I can relate to. :D
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

gww25 wrote: I'm the King of jury-rigging so nothing bothers me with respect to procedures but other people can get pretty anal about stuff. Most folks here actually do stuff in the real world so they understand about wrapping emery cloth around your finger but at some other places most people just talk about doing stuff and some of our 'workarounds' just sound weird to them.
I like to call it Bush-Tech. When you're 65 miles from the closest parts store, you make do with what you have.
(It might even entail drilling a big ass hole in an aluminum bell housing to tighten the clutch plate bolts to the flywheel and plugging the hole with a whittled branch.)
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

or a coke can!! lol
sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Post by sleepyonthree »

railroad bob wrote:
gww25 wrote: I'm the King of jury-rigging so nothing bothers me with respect to procedures but other people can get pretty anal about stuff. Most folks here actually do stuff in the real world so they understand about wrapping emery cloth around your finger but at some other places most people just talk about doing stuff and some of our 'workarounds' just sound weird to them.
I like to call it Bush-Tech. When you're 65 miles from the closest parts store, you make do with what you have.
(It might even entail drilling a big ass hole in an aluminum bell housing to tighten the clutch plate bolts to the flywheel and plugging the hole with a whittled branch.)

:lol: :lol: Ya can't argue "Field Expediency" especially when it works so well. :lol: :lol:
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”