Leafer Yokes

Try using this area for frontend information.
kheaton
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Ken Heaton. I've been in the medical field in the Army for the past 18 years and work on and build bikes as a hobby. My main hobby and goal is to think of parts that do not exist and make them or modify existing parts. I currently own a 99 Softtail that I bolted together, a 78 Triumph bobber that i built from the ground up, a 75 CB360 cafe, and a 76 Kawasaki KH500 that needs a lot of work. I joined the original forum about 8 years ago and I'm glad to see it up and running again!

Leafer Yokes

Post by kheaton »

I sent the leafer files to a shop with a cnc plasma (following great advice from the board!). Just got off the phone with the guy and he said he only had 5/8 hot rolled A36. He can get CRS but I have to buy the whole sheet. I read in Gary's thread that hot rolled is crap and should not be used.

So my question, is it crap bc it would be unsafe or crap bc its difficult to work with? Oh, and can I use it for my leafer?

Ken
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Re: Leafer Yokes

Post by rudog »

Does he have 3/4" CRS? And will it work for you? 5/8" is an odd size to stock. You can always grind or mill it to 5/8"+/-.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

you can use the hot rolled if you have to its just a major pain to get clean when you get ready to put a finish on it, it has a heavy mill scale on it where cold rolled is much cleaner it still has some good prep to finish but way easier
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
kheaton
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Ken Heaton. I've been in the medical field in the Army for the past 18 years and work on and build bikes as a hobby. My main hobby and goal is to think of parts that do not exist and make them or modify existing parts. I currently own a 99 Softtail that I bolted together, a 78 Triumph bobber that i built from the ground up, a 75 CB360 cafe, and a 76 Kawasaki KH500 that needs a lot of work. I joined the original forum about 8 years ago and I'm glad to see it up and running again!

Post by kheaton »

I called a few machine shops today hoping to find drop pieces of CRS for the yokes and other parts so I don't have to buy large pieces. Found a guy that said he thinks he has 5/8, 1/2 and 3/8 left over from a job. He's suppose to check tomorrow and let me know.

Ken

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”