Another leader build

Try using this area for frontend information.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Re: Another leader build

Post by Jeff L »

kheaton wrote:Got sidetracked when hunting season came in, now it's over so I can get back in the garage
I know where you're coming from there man.Except with me its when Stripers run.So did you put any Meat in the Freezer?Nice to see when Someone gets back on thier Build.Maybe seeing this will motivate my lasy Ass to get back on Mine.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

im easily destracted by them strippers too
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
kheaton
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Ken Heaton. I've been in the medical field in the Army for the past 18 years and work on and build bikes as a hobby. My main hobby and goal is to think of parts that do not exist and make them or modify existing parts. I currently own a 99 Softtail that I bolted together, a 78 Triumph bobber that i built from the ground up, a 75 CB360 cafe, and a 76 Kawasaki KH500 that needs a lot of work. I joined the original forum about 8 years ago and I'm glad to see it up and running again!

Post by kheaton »

Well here it is on the bike. It's not welded yet but I needed some measurements with it on the bike. After its tacked I'll put it back on and make rockers out of wood. I'm not so confident in my rocker drawing and I'm making them from 1" bar and on borrowed mill time so a wood mock up seems to be the way to go.
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

Looking good from here... ; )
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Looks good Dude.You take the Kick Start Quadrant out for me?I need one of those.... Lol
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

looks real nice
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
kheaton
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Ken Heaton. I've been in the medical field in the Army for the past 18 years and work on and build bikes as a hobby. My main hobby and goal is to think of parts that do not exist and make them or modify existing parts. I currently own a 99 Softtail that I bolted together, a 78 Triumph bobber that i built from the ground up, a 75 CB360 cafe, and a 76 Kawasaki KH500 that needs a lot of work. I joined the original forum about 8 years ago and I'm glad to see it up and running again!

Post by kheaton »

That's everyone. Didn't get a chance to work on it today. Hopefully this weekend I can get the rockers sorted and get started on them.
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

:popcorn: nice
kheaton
Lurker

Post by kheaton »

I didn't like the way the legs ends turned out so I remade them. Much more in line now. I also put a little more bend in the legs so everything line up better.
I'm using a sportster internal threaded stem which is a little long so I made this. It steps down to .120 OD and contacts the shims on the dust shield. The bolt will have loctite and safety wire.

And I finally tacked it together. My neighbor is an industrial pipe welder and will finish it up for me hopefully this week. My mig is down and I'm just learning to tig so I figure its best to have him weld it up.
kheaton
Lurker

Post by kheaton »

So I got the rear legs welded up and I wanted to go ahead and mount it on the bike to mock up the rockers. When I loosened the bolts that held the bottom of the rear legs, the left leg moves out about 1/8th". I have not welded the front legs in. Is this movement going to be a problem or is it normal? I've seen more movement in the rear legs of a mass produced frame but have never checked a front end.

Ken
kheaton
Lurker

Post by kheaton »

I got it all welded up. The legs were tweaked a little during welding which makes it a pain in the ass to get the top tree on but I should be able to fix that tomorrow. Here's a pic of a quick mock up for the rocker measurements. It looks like the rocker mounting hole is a lot higher than the axle but the bike is blocked 1" higher in the front. Let me know if you see anything wrong with it in this crappy cell pic.
Jeff L
Contributor

Post by Jeff L »

Nice work...looks good
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

progress is lookin' good. on the 1/8", i don't think that's gonna be a big problem for you.

you make me wanna build something.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

How are you setting up the rocker and links .... If the link is pushing , you need to reverse the syack of those springs...... but I could be wrong....
yona
Conventioneer

Post by yona »

I looked ....you just need a top leaf,, cut from another spring, the same length as the leaf, under the eye leaf .

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”