Girder Build help

Try using this area for frontend information.
Drake9
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am active duty USAF and have built a 81 Ironhead chop. I have the bike building bug and I dont want to shake it. Here to learn as much as I can and hopefully give advise to some others as well. I recently picked up a 71 Triumph 650 basket case motor from a good buddy for pretty cheap. I plan on getting that thing built then building a motorcycle around it. Not 100 percent sure on the direction I am going to go with it but it should be fun and keep me busy. I also enjoy building my own tools when I can. I have picked up most the metal to build a tube bender and have plans to build my own porta-band stand and lift.

Girder Build help

Post by Drake9 »

Well, I was thinking about building a springer for my current build but changed my mind. I think a girder might fit the build better and the springer I want to build will go better on a longer bike I think. The bike I am putting this on is an 81 Ironhead Chop and it has a minimalist approach so the weight is not to much.

I am getting ready to purchase the material to start the build but have some questions.

In Gary's plans it says to use .134 wall DOM but cant seem to find it for sale. Will .120 be good enough or should I go thicker? I would like to keep it as light as possible but still strong.

I am going to use flat links and in the plans it has a different set of yokes to use with the flat links but I cant seem to figure out why. Can someone shed some light on that? The ones for flat links keep everything tighter to head tube and the plate is 1" instead of .625". Like I said trying to keep this thing as light as possible.

Also can someone shed some light on figuring trail and girder length? I got draft sight and trying to learn how to use it but havent had much luck.

I will keep you posted as I make progress

Thanks
Jake
Drake9
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am active duty USAF and have built a 81 Ironhead chop. I have the bike building bug and I dont want to shake it. Here to learn as much as I can and hopefully give advise to some others as well. I recently picked up a 71 Triumph 650 basket case motor from a good buddy for pretty cheap. I plan on getting that thing built then building a motorcycle around it. Not 100 percent sure on the direction I am going to go with it but it should be fun and keep me busy. I also enjoy building my own tools when I can. I have picked up most the metal to build a tube bender and have plans to build my own porta-band stand and lift.

Re: Girder Build help

Post by Drake9 »

Should have ready more of the build guide before posting up. I got some answers but created more too, haha.

It looks like I can use the .120 wall without any issues as this will be a short front end. The stock hydraulic forks have been shortened 2" to give you an idea.

As for the yokes, if I read the guide right I can use the pivot point on the yokes to change the angle of the forks to give the bike a longer look. If I wanted to do this would I put the top pivot point closer to the stem then the bottom. It looks like in the plans it has the lower one closer. I might just get some wood or something and start cutting that up and do a mock up.
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

actually, to help play with trail numbers, i can highly recommend a program for windows called TrailSym written by none other than our very own Rudedog. i'll email it to ya. it works with springers, girders, and regular old telescopic forks, too.

on the yoke pivot points, i believe you could move either and be just fine, just be sure you're not causing something to hit something else by doing so. keep in mind the whole build and the stuff that needs to go on later like the shock/spring mounting points.

i definitely think doing a mockup before jumping into the real thing will help you out tremendously.

good luck!
-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

shoot, i forgot that gmail won't let me send a zip file. i'll email you a link to it.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
kheaton
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Ken Heaton. I've been in the medical field in the Army for the past 18 years and work on and build bikes as a hobby. My main hobby and goal is to think of parts that do not exist and make them or modify existing parts. I currently own a 99 Softtail that I bolted together, a 78 Triumph bobber that i built from the ground up, a 75 CB360 cafe, and a 76 Kawasaki KH500 that needs a lot of work. I joined the original forum about 8 years ago and I'm glad to see it up and running again!

Post by kheaton »

Can I get a link too!

Drake, I had the same prob with tube sizes in my area. None of the supply houses had it but I went to a welding/fab shop and they were able to get it next day and was cheaper than if I ordered it.

Ken
BIGJIM
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am not a bum. I'm a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.

Post by BIGJIM »

HERE IS THE LINK AS HOSTED BY CHOPPERWEB

Thank Rudy

FULL INSTALL:

Download here http://www.chopperweb.info/forum/pics/T ... ll_v11.zip

Instructions:
1. Create a temp directory to unzip this file since several dependancy files will be unzipped. You can use your Download directory, but it will get clutered with these files.
2. Run the "setup.exe" and follow the instructions. If any files are flagged as replacing a newer file, use the newer file and do not install the older file. You will be prompted during the installation.

Feedback is appreciated.
hdwgfx
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Long time member in Greater New Orleans Area. I have been riding since I was 14 yrs old, first Harley in 1973. I own a 02 fxdx and a 01 fxdwg which is all apart. I have been a full time caregiver for my mother for the last 6 yrs. before that I was a network administrator for a big oil company but most of my life I have been mechanic/machinist etc. this is boring gezzzz

Post by hdwgfx »

Motivation ;-) One version of Clem Johnson's famous Nitro Barn Job Vincent drag bike with a girder... I believe this is @ 1965 9.52 et 151.51 mph
BarnJob.jpg
BarnJob.jpg (160.44 KiB) Viewed 5712 times
http://nostalgiaonwheels.blogspot.com/2 ... -drag.html
NOTW
Drake9
NewB

Post by Drake9 »

That is great inspiration, thanks for posting it. I have a MAC and I am not running a virtual machine yet. I will get that set up so I can check out that program. Thanks guys
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

I second the mock-up. Wood and mdf work great and are fairly inexpensive. You can address a lot of questions and issues that way on the cheap.
We can do anything, impossible just takes longer.
Drake9
NewB

Post by Drake9 »

So has anyone ever built an aluminum girder? The yokes would be steel but thinking aluminum tubing for the legs either that or use 7/8 DOM steel, any thoughts?
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

This has been talked about in other threads. If you are considering using alum to save weight, don't bother.
The amount you save is very minimal, and the strength and stiffness you lose is considerable.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”