Springer-Rake, Trail!!!!!!!!!!

Try using this area for frontend information.
shovelgreg
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am a 60 year old retired auto worker, have 2 shovels-81flt, 93", and a custom 98 shovel-springer. love motorcycles-tools-welding. have a small home shop, lathe, mill, tig&mig, do all my own work-motor, paint, wiring, fab.

Springer-Rake, Trail!!!!!!!!!!

Post by shovelgreg »

Okay, here is what i have--Paughco +6" taper leg springer, Kraftech rigid frame, 38 rake, + 2" in down tubes. I have been using this springer on a swingarm frame Paughco, with 34 rake +2" down tubes. This thing rides and handles great. After mocking up with the rigid-looks like its going to be about 1" short!
So to my question--RAKE & TRAIL, i sure as hell cannt make anything of it? Can i change the shape of the rockers-to raise the front end? Or should i just cut the frame and remove 3-4 degrees of rake??? There is no way i am going to cut the front end.
I need a lay-mens way of figuring rake and trail. And what are we looking for in trail? 3 3/8" or more or less????? Sure dont want to mold and paint frame just to do it again! HELP !!!!!!!!!!! Greg
rakeNtrail
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just a grumpy old welder/chopperhedd Spent far too much time burning wire for a living but hey, one does have to pay the bills ya know! Worked shipyards and fab shops welding about everything stick, mig, tig and sub-arc. Both hand held and automated. Worked weekends in a Honda shop in the late 70's and in an all bike shop in the late 80's thru early 90's. Likes? Choppers, rock-N-roll, NRA and boobies! Dislikes? PC, VD, AARP & NAACP I'm pro business and totally against big government interfering in our daily lives. Live free or die baby and you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands. Do love little children and puppies though. Both of them can turn me into a 300lb. old softie!

Re: Springer-Rake, Trail!!!!!!!!!!

Post by rakeNtrail »

This help? Rockers can be about any shape as long as they can still travel.

TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

Looks like some offset to the trees. Run a center line down the steering head, (not the rear leg) to the ground. Run a verticle line from ground through axle center. The distance between these points is your trail measurement. If the tire center is ahead of the steering center then it is negative trail. Generally considered not good. Usually looking at a floating range of around 3-4 inches.

Most of my time is on bobbers, so someone will probably be able to give you more about your setup. I hope that helps.
We can do anything, impossible just takes longer.
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

Post by krymis »

...useless post as i was not paying attention to the conversation....
Last edited by krymis on Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

I said offset, not rake.
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

Post by krymis »

sorry misread. it was midnight and my wife was talking to me while i was typing.

Yes there is offset of 1" i think. i would have to check my blueprint to verify. And yes measure the trail along the centerline of the steering axis
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

No biggie, I figured it was something like that. I did the same thing, took me a minute to realize the Sugarbear wasn't the set up in question.

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”