girder rake and trail prior to frame manufacture

Try using this area for frontend information.
Builder52
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I worked on, bikes since I was 14, I progressed to cars when I hit the age of 16, now at 52 I find bikes more rewarding to build and with less space now to store my toys ( 3rd house, also the smallest garage) I use parts from anything that I can find to fit, my builds and am rapidly becoming a decent tig welder. Still I dont know everything and find it expensive to build from a catalog. so that is why I am here for the second time. I can only imagine what happened to my old post since I cant find them and very few of the old crew that used to be on here. maybe we can all come back on and share all that knowledge we acquired over the years of building? xp

girder rake and trail prior to frame manufacture

Post by Builder52 »

Ok I have a girder (ebay purchase )that i have and would like to figure out the frame rake and trail. when I read some of the posts it seams the frame is already figured out but I have not made the frame yet.I am going to make a low neck height frame. now my question is : what measurements are needed to figure out the frame? I have looked at Nero's post and have taken down some calculations he has made, for his and will measure mine in inches and post my findings.
Builder52
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: I worked on, bikes since I was 14, I progressed to cars when I hit the age of 16, now at 52 I find bikes more rewarding to build and with less space now to store my toys ( 3rd house, also the smallest garage) I use parts from anything that I can find to fit, my builds and am rapidly becoming a decent tig welder. Still I dont know everything and find it expensive to build from a catalog. so that is why I am here for the second time. I can only imagine what happened to my old post since I cant find them and very few of the old crew that used to be on here. maybe we can all come back on and share all that knowledge we acquired over the years of building? xp

Re: girder rake and trail prior to frame manufacture

Post by Builder52 »

hmmm ?
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

As you may have gathered, thats not an easy place to start. Do you know what frame it was supposed to fit?

Start with a front tire, block the assembled front end at the height you want your neck. Measure the rake and trail, figure out what to do from there.

Thats a pretty crude way to do things, but its all I can think of to help.
We can do anything, impossible just takes longer.
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

Don't forget to keep the girder links level for set-up,
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

I know its not a girder but I believe this is what TattoLeeRroy means.

curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

thats a nice jig there
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Those are build log pictures by BarefootJerry. He used to post on the previous site to Choppercompendium. I haven't seen him since then.
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

Yes, thats the idea. Glad it made sense to someone.
Builder52
NewB

Post by Builder52 »

TattooLeeRoy wrote:As you may have gathered, thats not an easy place to start. Do you know what frame it was supposed to fit?

Start with a front tire, block the assembled front end at the height you want your neck. Measure the rake and trail, figure out what to do from there.

Thats a pretty crude way to do things, but its all I can think of to help.
yes I gathered that, being from an automation background I have very little hesitation with doing things the hard way .
Builder52
NewB

Post by Builder52 »

TattooLeeRoy wrote:Don't forget to keep the girder links level for set-up,
level with the ground and lower frame rails, or paralell :think:
Builder52
NewB

Post by Builder52 »

hansgoudzwaard wrote:I know its not a girder but I believe this is what TattoLeeRroy means.

Y know I have a frame jig and have never used it that way, damn good Id re. with a girder it needs to be design with a 1" load drop when you hook it up to the frame, motor combo so it will sit right. might compress the front end and simulate the load to get an accurate measurement. :think:
Builder52
NewB

Post by Builder52 »

thanks to all for replying and its def givin me some directions !!!
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Builder52 wrote:[ might compress the front end and simulate the load to get an accurate measurement. :think:
You could let some air out of the tire to simulate(eq. to 1") if that was easier.

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”