Building a Girder for my Honda Rebel 250

Try using this area for frontend information.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Re: Building a Girder for my Honda Rebel 250

Post by railroad bob »

Very nice, some good looking custom forks.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Russ
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: I an indepent biker, no offence to patch holders but I can't be bothered with all that tough guy stuff. I'm into old BMW boxers. Low budget builder. I like my family, my bike and not much else. My current project is an r100rs Beemer that was posted on the old chopperhandbook site under the title "Another BMW gets attacked with a hacksaw".

Post by Russ »

Nice. Very nice.
Swamprabbit1
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm from Arkansas. Farm equipment mechanic. Love working on bikes with my 7yr old daughter. Single dad. Doing it all on my own. Good standing member over on the Honda rebel forum and TCU forum. My first chopper build was a Honda Rebel 250. Looking for a big brother to it. A Honda Rebel 450. I'm wanting to build a girder for the 250 and was told that this is the place to come for knowledge and help.

Post by Swamprabbit1 »

Thanks guys.
Through the Gates of Hell for a Wounded Marine.
Devil Doc
Swamprabbit1
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm from Arkansas. Farm equipment mechanic. Love working on bikes with my 7yr old daughter. Single dad. Doing it all on my own. Good standing member over on the Honda rebel forum and TCU forum. My first chopper build was a Honda Rebel 250. Looking for a big brother to it. A Honda Rebel 450. I'm wanting to build a girder for the 250 and was told that this is the place to come for knowledge and help.

Post by Swamprabbit1 »

Got the shock in place today.

Devil Doc
Swamprabbit1
Conventioneer

Post by Swamprabbit1 »

Here is a picture of the links with the riders weight on the bike. The shock is in the lowest setting. So it can be increased should the need arrises.

Handle bar lugs are here also.

Devil Doc
Swamprabbit1
Conventioneer

Post by Swamprabbit1 »

Started building the handlebars today. Think the bars are harder than the girder. LOL
They are just slid down over the lugs right now. Still need some twikking.

Devil Doc
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

That's awesome! I'm curious if you've measured the trail yet.
Swamprabbit1
Conventioneer

Post by Swamprabbit1 »

It's right at 2-3/4 inches of trail.
Devil Doc
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Links look nice and level with the rider on.

I'm liking placing the links inboard. Looks good from the front and side.
I can see the width of the tire and the trees are tied together.

I've seen a sportster with a wide glide fork, reminded me of a pit bull.
Suppose a person could build a similar girder with heavier tube and a beefy front tire combo.

Nice progress...
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Swamprabbit1
Conventioneer

Post by Swamprabbit1 »

railroad bob wrote:Links look nice and level with the rider on.

I'm liking placing the links inboard. Looks good from the front and side.
I can see the width of the tire and the trees are tied together.

I've seen a sportster with a wide glide fork, reminded me of a pit bull.
Suppose a person could build a similar girder with heavier tube and a beefy front tire combo.

Nice progress...
I don't see why you couldn't build a Grider for any bike. Like you said. Match the right tubing size and thickness for the weight of the bike. This build was total different from the start. One it's for a little 250 Rebel. 2nd the links are on the inside. Normal is just that normal. He he he
Thanks
Devil Doc
Jim Sawyer
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 25,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it

Post by Jim Sawyer »

I like those handlebars, they look awesome
I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 71,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it
Swamprabbit1
Conventioneer

Post by Swamprabbit1 »

Thanks Jim.
Went and added a cross bar/ support link. To keep the bars from twisting.

Last edited by Swamprabbit1 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Devil Doc
Swamprabbit1
Conventioneer

Post by Swamprabbit1 »

How about some polished stainless front wheel spacers.

Devil Doc
Swamprabbit1
Conventioneer

Post by Swamprabbit1 »

Spacers fit the seals.

No more Speedo drive.
Devil Doc
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Front end came out nice man...Something to be said about a speedo though...I don't need anymore fuckin tickets.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”