Printing the springer plans

Try using this area for frontend information.
GaryC.
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello.
Glad to have found this site,looks my my kinda place.
Started riding in 1977,on a 1975 Ironhead.
Had a 1997 Wide Glide later on.Now I have a 1998 Softail Custom,a 2003 Sportster,a 1977 Ironhead in a Flyrite Chopper frame,and a 2000 Evo Sporty in a Flyrite Scorcher frame.The Ironhead is just in mock-up stage,the Scorcher is running,just need to get the turn signals working in order to get it legal.
I live in a suburb of Dallas,and am very interested in everything about building choppers.Interested in learning machine shop stuff,and getting better at welding.
Very cool articles on this site,thanks for posting them.The springer build looks like something I wanna do!!

Printing the springer plans

Post by GaryC. »

Hello.
Recently I purchased the springer plans from Mr. Weishaupt,and just took them to the printer today.
Had them print the rude and crude old school pages.
Awesome,and much appreciated.
They couldn't print them on heavy stock,though.Kind of concerned about the rather thin paper these are on,when it comes down to tracing the parts out and cutting them.
What would be the best way to get these things onto some sort of thicker material for use as templates?
Thanks for any help.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: Printing the springer plans

Post by curt »

when I did mine I didn't use the full size drawings to make templates I used my regular printer and printed the pdf files of the individual parts and made sure to scale them 1 to 1 they all fit the regular paper and fit the full size drawing
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

I'd just cut out the patterns & use something like 3m contact adhesive to glue them on the steel.
Swamprabbit1
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm from Arkansas. Farm equipment mechanic. Love working on bikes with my 7yr old daughter. Single dad. Doing it all on my own. Good standing member over on the Honda rebel forum and TCU forum. My first chopper build was a Honda Rebel 250. Looking for a big brother to it. A Honda Rebel 450. I'm wanting to build a girder for the 250 and was told that this is the place to come for knowledge and help.

Post by Swamprabbit1 »

I did like Curt. Printed out the parts I needed on my home printer. I enlarged it to the correct size and did a screen shot. Printed that.
Through the Gates of Hell for a Wounded Marine.
Devil Doc
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

Post by krymis »

open pdfs. print on regular printer. make sure the actual size bubble is marked. print on thick card stock paper. I got mine at staples. It comes in a loom just like regular paper but is much thicker. It holds up better.
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

Same here. I print out the trees, perch, bridge and rockers on 60 pound bond on my regular home printer for templates. No need to have the legs and stuff printed full size since you'll be changing the lengths. On the really wide parts you may have to 'tile' the print and then tape it together but that's no problem as I've known people to 'tile' the whole frame drawings full-size.
GaryC.
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello.
Glad to have found this site,looks my my kinda place.
Started riding in 1977,on a 1975 Ironhead.
Had a 1997 Wide Glide later on.Now I have a 1998 Softail Custom,a 2003 Sportster,a 1977 Ironhead in a Flyrite Chopper frame,and a 2000 Evo Sporty in a Flyrite Scorcher frame.The Ironhead is just in mock-up stage,the Scorcher is running,just need to get the turn signals working in order to get it legal.
I live in a suburb of Dallas,and am very interested in everything about building choppers.Interested in learning machine shop stuff,and getting better at welding.
Very cool articles on this site,thanks for posting them.The springer build looks like something I wanna do!!

Post by GaryC. »

Good info,thanks for all the replies.

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”