copper/ brass plated springs?????

Try using this area for frontend information.
smnmuller907
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi my name's Simon. Journeyman Sheet metal worker /welder / fabricator. Lots of metal fabrication experience I'm hoping to carry over into Motorcycles. just starting my journey into chopper building.purchased a donor bike and am starting a build from the frame up. (ambitious i know). 80" evo, 280 rear, Ultima RSD transmission, Ultima 3.375 primary, DNA springer front end.

copper/ brass plated springs?????

Post by smnmuller907 »

Hey guys. New B here. 2nd time posting. quick question about plated springs.....

Does anybody know where you can buy copper or brass plated springs for a springer front end? I see complete springers for sale that have them but i cannot find just the springs. I really like the look. I am open to plating the ones i have too but there is no longer a place to have this done up here in Alaska so if anybody has a suggestion on a affordable place that does quality work i could send things to get plated that would be much appreciated too.
Thanks in advance for any help/ advise!
-Simon
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Re: copper/ brass plated springs?????

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Because of the danger of nitrogen embrittlement be sure that the plating shop that you choose deals with springs regularly. Nitrogen reliving isn't rocket science but it must be done for springs just like guns. I tried some 2 stage bronze powder coat on a girder spring and all the rear suspension springs on an Indian in 2012 and so far they are still perfect no chips or cracks. But being the belt and suspenders type I'm not ready to say for sure but I'm pretty sure and dam it looks good.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

OBTW the Springs were Prismatic powders rough bronze over ink black and the girder was Clear bronze over ink black.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
smnmuller907
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi my name's Simon. Journeyman Sheet metal worker /welder / fabricator. Lots of metal fabrication experience I'm hoping to carry over into Motorcycles. just starting my journey into chopper building.purchased a donor bike and am starting a build from the frame up. (ambitious i know). 80" evo, 280 rear, Ultima RSD transmission, Ultima 3.375 primary, DNA springer front end.

Post by smnmuller907 »

Wow those look great Dave! I think I would like to stick with a plating so that I still get the luster of the plating that will contrast with everything else like chrome on this particular project but (just my thinking) that powder coating you did would sure look slick on a frame . Thanks for the info on the nitrogen imbrrittlement too. I did not know that

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”