measuring for girders?

Try using this area for frontend information.
booger68
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: i am from ky. and want to learn some new stuff about building some different and custom bike parts. I am currently wanting to build some girders for a 83 fxe but also some other parts as well. I work in a factory making toilet paper here in ky

measuring for girders?

Post by booger68 »

Hi all,
I have a question about measuring for girders. Do i need to use the measuring for springers page as the place to get my guidelines for coming up with my measurements for my girders?

Thanks
Booger
/
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Re: measuring for girders?

Post by railroad bob »

you should probably start by reading this article, written by Gary.
Girders are covered thoroughly in it.
This won't answer your specific question, but you will find out why
no one can answer it.

http://www.chopperhandbook.com/forks.htm
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
booger68
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: i am from ky. and want to learn some new stuff about building some different and custom bike parts. I am currently wanting to build some girders for a 83 fxe but also some other parts as well. I work in a factory making toilet paper here in ky

Post by booger68 »

Thanks railroad,
I have read that and i also have the how to build girders download. So it looks like i will have to do this with the bike disassembled? I was just wondering if there might be a wat to do it while still being able to ride it? Could i go ahead and make the yokes and then maybe pull the front end off then do some measuring?

What do yall think
Thanks
Booger
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

you could make a primitive , one off jig to establish your parameters and another to hold the parts in alignment for welding ! If you look into the section covering jigs and also the project build section you will get a better idea of what I am talking about !!
booger68
NewB

Post by booger68 »

Thanks gearhead

I will be doing alot of reading on this and all as this is riding season. I am fixing to do my bearings and races on my hyrolic shocks wed so i will have an idea on how fast i can get my front end off and back on. Its riding season so i dont want alot of downtime if i can get by with it.

Thanks
Booger
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

Post by krymis »

if you go to the chopper handbook, I posted photos of a jig you can make from wood for setting up and measuring girders.
booger68
NewB

Post by booger68 »

Hi all,
After talking with gary. He was telling me that it would be hard to make a set of trees welding a bottom yoke together for a stock rake bike. He said that there would be too much interfearance. So it looks like i will have to try a springer build. These 35mm forks i have are junk. They cant even be rebuilt. So reading off to another part of the front page i go. And another thread. Thanks for your help here

Booger
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

I love springers post pics
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”