Springer tubing size question.

Try using this area for frontend information.
Slimey1
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: This looks like a great forum. I'm planning on building my first front end...a girder...soon,and have a friend that wants to me to build him a leafer.

I'm almost finished with a bike build I started 2 years ago. I just rode it all summer in the "raw" and hope to get it all painted and prettified over the winter months.

Springer tubing size question.

Post by Slimey1 »

As I have practically unlimited access to 316L stainless steel tubing and plate,I would like to build my springer from this material. My question is: Using Gary's tubing size chart on the CBH,how will wall thicknesses differ,if at all,by using 316L instead of the standard steel?
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Re: Springer tubing size question.

Post by gww25 »

problem with stainless is that it work-hardens and becomes brittle. Even welding it makes it brittle and I've seen literally hundreds of stainless weldments in the marine business fail unexpectedly so I wouldn't use it myself for forks but for a show bike it'd be okay. It all depends on how much the bike will be used.

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”