idea to build springer to reduce trail a little

Try using this area for frontend information.
Dozer
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Riding for more than 35 years, owned all kinds of Harley's over the years Shovelheads, Evo's Choppers, baggers and sportsters loved them all. More into Choppers lately though i have a FLHX for road trips. made a few custom parts for my Evo chopper, sissy bar, mounts covers and odds and ends, thinking about trying a springer build either from scratch or modified springer using tree's Ive already got. Searching for info on springers is what led me to find this forum, looks like a great source of info and some good people and I'd like to be a part of that.

Re: idea to build springer to reduce trail a little

Post by Dozer »

I pussy’d out on a full front end build for a while, I was totaling up the cost of building a springer or inverted springer. I was at more than $500 for materials and hardware without time in for building, and I wasn’t 100% sure it was going to improve the handling when completed. so for now I bought a cheap set of 4 deg. Trees and some 16” over tubes for only $480 to see how much difference it would be.

I’ve only done a short ride but I can tell it is 100% better!

When I laid out the dimensions in CAD for my old front end and to see how much more I should go I came up that my old set up was more like over 10” of trail and this set up is under 6” is what it works out in CAD and best I can measure that is right. It lifted the front a little but I think I’ll like it more, and I know I want to do away with the pullback risers and use short straight ones but that easy changes.
Oct 22, 3 06 51 PM.jpg
Oct 22, 3 06 51 PM.jpg (149.09 KiB) Viewed 3152 times
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

its definitely not any cheaper to build your own unless you got some serious trading skills . I try to buy a part at a time so its not such a big hit all at once and she don't notice either . now that you got it sorted out could be a nice side project if it don't work out you could always sell it a well made hand built in my book is worth way more than a store bought
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Dozer
NewB
SELF INTRODUCTION: Riding for more than 35 years, owned all kinds of Harley's over the years Shovelheads, Evo's Choppers, baggers and sportsters loved them all. More into Choppers lately though i have a FLHX for road trips. made a few custom parts for my Evo chopper, sissy bar, mounts covers and odds and ends, thinking about trying a springer build either from scratch or modified springer using tree's Ive already got. Searching for info on springers is what led me to find this forum, looks like a great source of info and some good people and I'd like to be a part of that.

Post by Dozer »

exactly what i was thinking, as I order other materials I need, I can add a piece or two at a time to collect the raw materials then just order the springs and hardware and it won't seem like such a big hit all at once. It'll be a good project to add to my list.

it is amazing at the difference, I didn't know how bad it was before, but after riding 60 mi with the new rake I know what everyone means when they say too much trail is not a good thing.

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”