curts springer build

Try using this area for frontend information.
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Re: curts springer build

Post by gww25 »

From what I can see in the snapshots that's a fixable situation with a little grinding and facing so don't give up yet. Remember that if it's not a tight fit then it's not worth doing in the first place. Nothing is worse on a chopper than a loose sloppy fitup with a lot of 'air-space' between the components.
Next time pay better attention to the plans and do a little more in-depth pre-planning and mockup work. Sometimes I spend weeks just thinking about something before I ever commit to the steel. Remember the steel fabricators credo. Draw full size patterns, do full size mockups, do a cheap steel mockup and then build the final product.
gww25
Site Grandaddy
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm just an old chopper builders who still dabbles in the craft and I hope that I can contribute something to the discussions as time goes by. Most of you already know that I started the Chopper Builders Handbook site so you're probably already familiar with my philosophy on choppers and chopper work.

Post by gww25 »

Forgot to mention that fabrication is very often a hit and miss situation. Sometimes even the best fab guys goof something up, If you walk behind the shops of the 'famous' chopper and Rod guys you'll be amazed at what ends up in the dumpsters. At one very well know West Coast operation more steel went out the back door than ever went out the front door and that's not an uncommon situation. That's one reason that 'custom' prices are as high as they are. Everybody has to have a little padding in the budget for the goof-ups.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

gww25 wrote:From what I can see in the snapshots that's a fixable situation with a little grinding and facing so don't give up yet. Remember that if it's not a tight fit then it's not worth doing in the first place. Nothing is worse on a chopper than a loose sloppy fitup with a lot of 'air-space' between the components.
Next time pay better attention to the plans and do a little more in-depth pre-planning and mockup work. Sometimes I spend weeks just thinking about something before I ever commit to the steel. Remember the steel fabricators credo. Draw full size patterns, do full size mockups, do a cheap steel mockup and then build the final product.

ya i origonally wanted to go with the lugs on the plans but i couldnt make them myself and being stubborn and wanting to do it myself i went with a design i saw in your writeup on the cd and didnt take into account the hub would be diffrent on the aftermarket wheels everything fit perfect with the factory mockup wheel i used . im far from giveing up like i said im stubborn i will make it work and look good too . and i agree i dont like all that space between parts either . thanks for the input i really value your opinion
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

gww25 wrote:Forgot to mention that fabrication is very often a hit and miss situation. Sometimes even the best fab guys goof something up, If you walk behind the shops of the 'famous' chopper and Rod guys you'll be amazed at what ends up in the dumpsters. At one very well know West Coast operation more steel went out the back door than ever went out the front door and that's not an uncommon situation. That's one reason that 'custom' prices are as high as they are. Everybody has to have a little padding in the budget for the goof-ups.

i know exactly what you mean i grew up arround the corner from a fab shop and used to pick through the dumpster found some really cool stuff . make some goofs myself but i learn from em and metal is relativly in expensive so ill keep trying
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

LOL, Curt, i think i'd be more worried if everything went exactly according to my original plan. overcoming those little "obstacles" that pop up is all part of the satisfaction of doing it yourself. the difference between a real builder and a cobbler is that a real builder will do like you are and work it out instead of just going for "good enough."

that springer looks absolutely sexy. and if it rides anything like mine did (better i'd bet, since you had access to some real tools), you're gonna be like, "so THIS is what a front end should feel like." i know it sure opened my eyes, and i will dang sure be making all my own from now on. kudos to Gary for opening my eyes.

-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

budoka wrote:LOL, Curt, i think i'd be more worried if everything went exactly according to my original plan. overcoming those little "obstacles" that pop up is all part of the satisfaction of doing it yourself. the difference between a real builder and a cobbler is that a real builder will do like you are and work it out instead of just going for "good enough."

that springer looks absolutely sexy. and if it rides anything like mine did (better i'd bet, since you had access to some real tools), you're gonna be like, "so THIS is what a front end should feel like." i know it sure opened my eyes, and i will dang sure be making all my own from now on. kudos to Gary for opening my eyes.

-dan

no doubt i cant wait to ride it like i said i never owned a decient springer before by the time i was able to afford one it was very well used and abused i want it right and like u i dont have all the tools i want but im figureing it out (i dont think well ever have all the tools we want )
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

Maxthegardener wrote:Iam sure you'll figure that one out! ...anyway you could counter sink the bolt heads or machine the hub ???
joy to watch thanx Curt

thanks max trying to keep it honest mistakes and all hopefully when someone else makes one theyll learn from my goofs too
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Hi curt, well managed to get back online since my computer crashed bigtime. Had registry failure and had to reload everything to get going again, lost alot of stuff but had most backed up on disks and printed out. Lots to do to get it all back, atleast it is up and running so far. Your springer is looking real cool man. :angry-banghead: :D :obscene-drinkingcheers:
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

jonester123 wrote:Hi curt, well managed to get back online since my computer crashed bigtime. Had registry failure and had to reload everything to get going again, lost alot of stuff but had most backed up on disks and printed out. Lots to do to get it all back, atleast it is up and running so far. Your springer is looking real cool man. :angry-banghead: :D :obscene-drinkingcheers:
thanks good luck
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

finally got the tires mounted on the new rims got it in a rolling chassis still gotta fix the lower legs so i can have a front brake with the wide hubs just waiting for some time to play on the milling machine so i can finish em up soon i hope i did remake the rockers though . i dont like the looks as much as the origonal ones but i might remake em anyone have dxf files of some sharp extended ones
Attachments
rolling chassis 007.jpg
rolling chassis 007.jpg (181.78 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
rolling chassis 006.jpg
rolling chassis 006.jpg (161.33 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Wow man....thats looking pretty nice.Cannt wait to see the changes with each part that goes on makes.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

I am following both builds. Amazing work and good writeups. You get a lot done in a short time.
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

I'll third that...very nice Curt
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

thanks everyone more to come soon
krymis
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan it chris (krymis) from the CBH board. thanks for opening this back up. hope to have a project to show the build here. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and so on and so forth. The book of revolations and worlds ends and shit like that.....

Post by krymis »

curt it looks beautiful. the only criticism i can say is i like the look of a spring bridge the is horizontally inline with the lower tree when the bike is weighted and standing up. It looks like your spring bridge may be a little low for my taste. This is one observation i have made of all the "superior" springers on the market. also when the weather breaks we should meet up as you are not that far from me. I would love to look this over in person.

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”