curts springer build

Try using this area for frontend information.
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: curts springer build

Post by curt »

real good idea with the springer rods they are hardend rods on those shocks
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

didnt have time to get pics today rushed to my friends shop so i could use his lathe to square up the ends on the rear legs and make shure i have them exactly even
ill get some pics tomorro when i start weldin it together
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Nice one Curt, Great thread ......
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

been workin on it all mornin ill have some pics tonight
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Hi curt, cool man. I am going to the tool store to buy some more cutting discs etc so i can get back to my springer build , then i will have some more pics to show of progress later. :dance: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

springer 13 001.jpg
springer 13 001.jpg (43 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
springer 13 002.jpg
springer 13 002.jpg (46.25 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
springer 13 003.jpg
springer 13 003.jpg (41.95 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
springer 13 004.jpg
springer 13 004.jpg (44.42 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
springer 13 005.jpg
springer 13 005.jpg (52.54 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
springer 13 006.jpg
springer 13 006.jpg (53.62 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
got a lot done today put the trees in the frame and spaced the top tree almost an 1/8 inch from the bearing retainer nut exactly how i want it to be when im done and tightend everything down to lock it all in place so i could use it to hold everything in place so i could weld in the main tubes . i drilled 2 3/8 inch holes near the top of both tubes so i could put the slug in to bolt the top tree to . i turned them the other day on the lathe so they fit with a lil press fit put a washer and bolt in them and taped them into the tube and welded them in . i took a grinder to em and smothed the welds down so theyd slide into the trees .then i took a piece of 3/4 inch threaded rod and slid it into the ends of the tubes and measured about 50 times getting both legs parralell all the way down locked them in place
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

springer 13 007.jpg
springer 13 007.jpg (57.53 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
springer 13 008.jpg
springer 13 008.jpg (53.17 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
springer 13 010.jpg
springer 13 010.jpg (61.4 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
springer 13 011.jpg
springer 13 011.jpg (54.93 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
springer 13 012.jpg
springer 13 012.jpg (47.69 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
springer 13 013.jpg
springer 13 013.jpg (45.67 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
i slid the spring assembly in place and double checked everything was all square and parralell bolted the legs to the top tree checked a third time and welded the legs into the bottom tree . with the legs all welded in i turned it all back over to see how it looked .really startin to look like somethin.now the spring perch isnt welded in yet so i could slide it up and down to get it in the right spot dan gave me the specs a while ago so i had to dig them up took a while guess i gotta organize one of theese days . i also put the rockers on the rear legs and proped up the front of the frame so it was at the angle on garys plans so i could measure the length of the front tubes. got the front tubes all cut to length bolted em to the rockers set the spring perch into the tubes and threw the front and rear wheel on it set it on the floor to see what its gonna look like when i finish it up .really lookin good to my eye now. tonight im gonna take the front legs down to my friends shop and put em in the lathe square up the cut ends and make shure theyre both exactly the same length then i can weld in the threaded bungs tomorro and bolt it all together . then itll be finished im not going to weld the spring perch to the rear legs till i have the whole thing mocked up and im sitting on it so it has the proper travel . ill use locking collars for now to keep the perch from slideing up and down marring up the tubes . probaly sand blast it and put it in primer .
Maz
Biker Mistress
SELF INTRODUCTION: The Biker Mistress, Blonde, blue eyes, English Lady bike builder and previously a member of the CBH. I run my own custom bike and chop shop (MazChopz) on the south west coast of England. I have been building custom bikes for over 35 years and have built some 130 bikes so far. I am happy to share my knowledge and "expertise" and also hope to learn from the other forum members. I look forward to meeting up with many of my friends from the CBH and especially to seeing how Dan got on with his Knuck.

Post by Maz »

very professional build dude and a lot of very helpful detail in the pics and commentary :dance: :dance: :bow-blue:

Maz xx
Blonde, blue eyes, English Custom Bike builder and Biker Mistress!!!

curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

got the front legs all in everythings bolted together finally finished wish i could ride it see how it handles but itll have to wait finished with this thread ill have to combine this with the hard tail build now and the hunt for parts is on :dance: :auto-dirtbike:
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

Maz wrote:very professional build dude and a lot of very helpful detail in the pics and commentary :dance: :dance: :bow-blue:

Maz xx
thanks maz
jonester123
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello guys and gals, working on my 1979 honda cb750 bobber chopper build plus many other projects etc. I have two workshops at home that i built so i can build bikes and all sorts of parts, and i mainly do auto body work and restoration repairs etc.

Post by jonester123 »

Hi curt, wicked cool man and looks awesome great job. I really do love the looks of a cool springer, hopeing to get working on mine today sometime. Gotta get my workshop heaters all setup and working to keep warm. :clap: :dance: :bow-blue: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

ya its gettin cold here too snow again today hate winter
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

well it looks like im not as done as i thiught i was i put the new rim on and because i went off the plans a lil with the bottom of the tubes the rims dont fit . the hubs are wider on the rims than the factory hubs im thinking i can make extended rockers and change the hardware a lil and make it work its gonna be tight but should work . illl have some pics tomorrow i started making the rockers already was sanding them down when the belt broke on the sander so hopefully i can get back on track here so i can get theese running by spring
curt
Long in the Tooth

Post by curt »

springer 14 021.jpg
springer 14 021.jpg (50.85 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
springer 14 022.jpg
springer 14 022.jpg (46.92 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
springer 14 018.jpg
springer 14 018.jpg (49.75 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
springer 14 019.jpg
springer 14 019.jpg (51.34 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
springer 14 020.jpg
springer 14 020.jpg (55.47 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
the pics are outa sequence but i took the origonal rockers off and made newones i havent had a chance to replace the hardware yet but took some pics to show how tight its going to be for the brake rotor i think itll just fir if i change it or maybe cut the heads off and weld em in now i wish i had made the style the plans call for try and cheap out not paying to have the machine work done and ya still pay in the end oh well next time ill be doing it by the plan but i did get it centerd and turned down the spacers fix the hardware and make the axl then brake mount and done with springer
Maxthegardener
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: Name is Max living in scotland ,and building my first bike, Which is derived from a buellM2 Cyclone..Started with an engine and a Drop seat frame wich was made to my spec by a more experienced builder. would like to learn more about the skills and techniques required to build a frame so I value being a member here...Cheers Max

Post by Maxthegardener »

Iam sure you'll figure that one out! ...anyway you could counter sink the bolt heads or machine the hub ???
joy to watch thanx Curt

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”