Brake arm clamp/stay?

Try using this area for frontend information.
DKillam
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan - it's me again! PLEASE let me join!! My password is "peanut brittle" and I like to share. :) Thanks for taking on this huge undertaking - I'll try not to disappoint - after all, I'm not through with my build stuff!

Brake arm clamp/stay?

Post by DKillam »

CBH springer plans show a brake arm clamp that appears to be a piece of tube and bracket attached to the rear leg. Anything special about them - material/size/attachment method?
Using a TC Bros brake caliper, if that makes any difference.
https://www.tcbroschoppers.com/collecti ... side-black

Thanks.
DKillam
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey dan - it's me again! PLEASE let me join!! My password is "peanut brittle" and I like to share. :) Thanks for taking on this huge undertaking - I'll try not to disappoint - after all, I'm not through with my build stuff!

Re: Brake arm clamp/stay?

Post by DKillam »

Related question: What determines the arm clamp attachment point on the rear leg. Does this drawing give the best non-binding action for the caliper? What about the note that says not to weld the bracket to the leg?
Edit: This is going on a dropped rocker setup.
main.gif
main.gif (9.46 KiB) Viewed 4667 times
Fossil
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just an old Dude exploring the world while I still have time. Used to be a member here but forgot my login information so trying to re-register. Working on the placer deposits in Nevada so no roads here to ride anything on unless it;s a dirt bike and even that can be pretty hairy. Nice to see that the place is still active. The old CBH is due to go offline in November. Have to computer anymore and cell signals out here are few and far between so it's hard to maintain any type of regular contact with anybody but glad to see a lot of familiar names.

Post by Fossil »

Modern wisdom says that he angle of the brake stay arm needs to be at the same angle as the angle between the rear leg and front leg rocker pivot points but I've seen this 'rule' violated so many times that I don't put a lot of stock in it anymore. Having said that I will say based on my experience that about 90% of springer failures are the result of welding the brake stay anchor bracket to the rear legs so I'm a big supporter of using a clamp-on stay bracket.
DKillam
Tourist

Post by DKillam »

Thanks again for helping me through this maze of details. The stay bracket will be clamped on, not only to reduce the weld failure you describe, but also to give some adjustability when setting the final stay arm torque rod angle. There's very little info on the net about how best to set this up. Every little bit helps.
Don
DKillam
Tourist

Post by DKillam »

OK - got the brake stay bracket fabricated and installed. I tried two positions - one with the stay arm parallel with the rear leg and front leg pivot points and the other with the rear leg pivot and axle centers.
I'm thinking the rear leg and axle center is the way to go - comments?

Rear leg and front leg.JPG
Rear leg and front leg.JPG (482.56 KiB) Viewed 4632 times
Rear leg and front leg.JPG
Rear leg and front leg.JPG (482.56 KiB) Viewed 4632 times
Attachments
Rear leg and axle.JPG
Rear leg and axle.JPG (491.06 KiB) Viewed 4632 times
Fossil
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: Just an old Dude exploring the world while I still have time. Used to be a member here but forgot my login information so trying to re-register. Working on the placer deposits in Nevada so no roads here to ride anything on unless it;s a dirt bike and even that can be pretty hairy. Nice to see that the place is still active. The old CBH is due to go offline in November. Have to computer anymore and cell signals out here are few and far between so it's hard to maintain any type of regular contact with anybody but glad to see a lot of familiar names.

Post by Fossil »

perfect timing. You thought right. On dropped rockers the stay arm should be at the same angle as that formed by the rear leg pivot point and the axle center if at all possible. Forgot to mention that earlier.
DKillam
Tourist

Post by DKillam »

Cool beans!
I've started the final welds on the legs and installed the external fork stop.
Here's the side view. I cut the neck and changed the angle from 30* to 45*. Finally starting to look like a chopper. :evil:
Side view.JPG
Side view.JPG (491.82 KiB) Viewed 4591 times
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

sweet ride
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
DKillam
Tourist

Post by DKillam »

curt wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:25 pmsweet ride
Thanks curt. I bookmarked your springer build from 2012 and have referred to it several times to catch a detail or two. Have you got some pics of the bike as it now stands? If so, I'd really like to see them.

Don
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Post by curt »

no unfortunately i had to sell it . im glad my build was able to help
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
DKillam
Tourist

Post by DKillam »

Sorry to hear that Curt. :sad:
Hopefully, the buyer appreciates what they got.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Nice lines there Don. Like the rockers a lot.
How wide is your primary belt?
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

Don that is one beautiful chopper you've got going there! i really love the springer.

take care,
-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/
DKillam
Tourist

Post by DKillam »

budoka wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:13 am Don that is one beautiful chopper you've got going there! i really love the springer.

take care,
-dan
railroad bob wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:13 am Nice lines there Don. Like the rockers a lot.
How wide is your primary belt?
Bob - thank you. The belt is 1 1/2” wide BDL.

Dan - I appreciate it the complement. It’s complete now except for paint. I hate painting…
:twisted:
budoka
Site Admin
SELF INTRODUCTION: I'm a Kentucky boy who's found himself transplanted into Japan. been into turning wrenches as long as i can remember. i love muscle cars, hotrod bikes, and the martial arts.

been a member of this board since back when it was a part of Chopperweb. been handling the tech side and sharing the admin duties for several years now.

Post by budoka »

I actually kind of enjoy painting (i'm anal that way), but i absolutely HATE masking things off. necessary of course, but i hate it.

good luck with the paint!

take care,
-dan
-experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://knuckleheadsummer.blogspot.com/

Return to “Springers, Girders, Spirders and Leafers”