Wheel bearing lube

This is for posts and questions about the above subjects.
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Wheel bearing lube

Post by rudog »

Got my frame welded. Thanx for all the help. I got my wheels f/egay. Apparently, they got rid of them because the wheel bearings were frozen into the wheels. Tried making an internal collet...striped right out. Tried heat...not good. Eventually it took brute force via alot of tonnage with a hyd bearing press. It sounded like a gun when the bearing finally broke loose. Checked the wheel and everything looks undamaged except for some galling.

I never press bearings without lube. Do you guys use lube when pressing bearings? Is anti-sieze a better idea?
curt
Long in the Tooth
SELF INTRODUCTION: hi everyone its me from the old bord hopeing to see everyone come here and all the newcomers . lets make this as good as the old one or even better . lookin foreward to seeing everyones projects continue and ill be continueing mine too

Re: Wheel bearing lube

Post by curt »

i always use anti sieze
ever notice when you hit somethin or someone with a hammer you feel instantly better
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

Thanx, Curt. Good enough for me!

Now to cut some spacers.
jimmib
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hello everyone. first of all a big thanks to "Dan the Man". Some of you know me from the previous (2) boards and some don't, so here goes. I have been a fabricator/welder for over 40 years now. Damn that's a helluva long time to do anything! Anyways, I have built literaly 100's of street rods, pro streeters, racecars, bikes and trikes over the years. Never made the headlines and never will. I do what I do because it is the love of my life.
I enjoy reading the posts on the forum and try to contribute when I can. I am sure that this will be every bit as good as the CBH forum, as we will have most of the same folks. Good luck and post a lot of pics!! Jim

Post by jimmib »

Anti sieze or lubriplate work well. Freeze your brgs for several hrs and heat hubs with a heat gun right before installation. All helps!
Whoa!...Musta stood up too fast...
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
An optomist is no more than a pessimist with an idea.
Gun control is hitting what you are aiming at.....

Return to “Wheels, Tires, Sprockets, Belts, Chains and Brakes”