modifying tire tread

This is for posts and questions about the above subjects.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

modifying tire tread

Post by railroad bob »

Has anyone modified the tread on a tire? I know they make heat knifes that are specific for this task.
Found one on EGay, didn't look like worth a $100 new, this was asking $40 or so.
Looked like a good soldering iron might do the trick just as good.
I'm considering buying a cheap hiway/cruiser tire and giving it a more aggressive tread pattern for gravel and off-hiway use.
My 92 FXLR has a 16in Fatboy solid on the rear, dual sport tires are hard to find in 16in rim size, so I'm wondering if I can do this
instead of buying a 16in spoked wheel (most dual sport tires need a tube).
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
TattooLeeRoy
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi. I am LeeRoy, been biking for 30 yrs now. I ride an ironhead sportster, and (since I have a rider) am wanting to start a ground up build. I am really happy I found CBH, and want to thank you for info it contains. I look forward to the sportster hardtail article, and hope for a girder article

Re: modifying tire tread

Post by TattooLeeRoy »

I haven't tried it, but you might have an idea. If you can adapt xacto jaws to the soldering iron maybe you can make cutters.
We can do anything, impossible just takes longer.
gearhead1951
Builder
SELF INTRODUCTION: I am an expat tennessee hillbilly and retired us navy engineer livin' in Scotland and I have a love of old cars , trucks, motorcycles and most any other machinery !

I dont know if I can think of enough to say to reach the two hundred charactor minimun set by the mods , but I will persevere

Post by gearhead1951 »

Check www.speedwaymotors.com or www.eastwoodcompany.com ! They might have what you need at a more reasonable price !
sleepyonthree
Stalker
SELF INTRODUCTION: All around tinkerer. Hotrods, cycles, trikes, gardening, cooking, women. Originally joined CBH Jan 29, 2006. Way to many projects, but, thats the fun. Live out in the boonies, less complaints from conformist neighbors.

Post by sleepyonthree »

Also do a google search for tire groover and a fair amount of leads pop up.
nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

Any reason you cann't run a tube on the Rim you have?
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

DENNIS KIRK
DENNIS KIRK
RRB.JPG (96.49 KiB) Viewed 5489 times
https://www.denniskirk.com/help_center/tire-sizes.jsp

railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Thanks for all the response.

Link above for Eastwood does not work, this does...
http://www.eastwood.com/
but a search with different words did not find anything there.

Speedway has a groover for $70, and a siper for $120 (more knives)

When I originally started this idea, noticed my Fatboy wheel has the valve stem on the left, and was thinking a tube has it in the center. Since, I've noticed spoke wheels that have it on the left.
Also, I've always used radial tires, never any tubes. Did not cross my mind that maybe I could use a tube on a mag, never asked the question.

I've searched several tire stores, the trail wing does not get very good reviews.
There are some 16 in tires for dual sport, not many, most are 17 and up. The 16 in tires I've found so far do not thrill me, seem to be lacking in construction features,
sidewall plies, speed rating, on/off hiway usage rating, etc.

Another factor is that I think it would be easier to have a spare wheel/tire combo to change, instead of changing tires on a single rim. You have to pull the axle either way,
but with a spare set, I can just roll in the different one that is ready to go, no long prep time for a trip. The off-hwy tire would be more of an ocassional use, would not
run it all the time.

At this time, I think if I find the right tire, good construction, good reviews, good speed rating, etc, with a tread pattern that can be modified fairly easily, it might be better
if I just add some aggressiveness to the tread instead of hunting for something that is likely not available for such a limited application, big heavy cruiser with a big heavy rider that
likes to ride fast and hard. Shooting for 80/20 percentage for on/off hwy use, maybe even 90/10.

It's a little bit of a thrill when you are riding fast on a gravel road that has a few inches of soft powdery surface, especially 80 in the curves.
If you go too slow, you eat a lotta dust, bad for the lungs, hard to keep your balance without the gyro effect of motion.
Mostly steer with the throttle, the head shakes a little but don't fight it, light pressure on the grips, just let it do it's thing, it stops when you hit the straight.
Best done on a right hander so you can see around, the left ones are a little spooky.
BTW, don't do this, and I'm not a professional, just different. :auto-dirtbike: :auto-dirtbike: :auto-dirtbike:
TANSTAAFL
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

Wish you were here , have 3 or 4 friends that use my welder at the track to power their groovers...... check at a semi-truck tire repair place , most of them use groovers.....there is a guy down here that became a millionair, buying Police and state trooper take-off, patching and regrooving them and selling them at second tire shops, up and down the east coast .... illegal in Florida !
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
railroad bob
Contributor

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Wish I was there too!!!!!

Was up til midnight, got up at 8AM and it was -45F outside my door!
SHIT!
Stayed inside all day.

My roommate left at about 6AM, he thinks it was -50 when he went out the door.

I think siping a new tire is the way to go. Some places around here do that for folks that want better winter traction, but don't want to buy studded tires.

Looking for extra wheels now.
TANSTAAFL

Return to “Wheels, Tires, Sprockets, Belts, Chains and Brakes”