WM or CM profile?

This is for posts and questions about the above subjects.
kheaton
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Ken Heaton. I've been in the medical field in the Army for the past 18 years and work on and build bikes as a hobby. My main hobby and goal is to think of parts that do not exist and make them or modify existing parts. I currently own a 99 Softtail that I bolted together, a 78 Triumph bobber that i built from the ground up, a 75 CB360 cafe, and a 76 Kawasaki KH500 that needs a lot of work. I joined the original forum about 8 years ago and I'm glad to see it up and running again!

WM or CM profile?

Post by kheaton »

So i bought this 18" aluminum rear wheel for my triumph and after removing the tire, I think I know why it was so cheap. I was told it was from a sportster and is stamped 43008-70. Can anyone tell by the shitty pic if it is a CM or WM profile?
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Re: WM or CM profile?

Post by yona »

That can be cleaned with walnut shell, in a blasting booth or outside on a big plastic tarp ... lets you recover some of the walnut shell .... local blasting store shold have it .... i keep 2 big 80 lb bags around ...
I.D.G.A.F.H.T.D.I.A.O.C.C.
kheaton
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: My name is Ken Heaton. I've been in the medical field in the Army for the past 18 years and work on and build bikes as a hobby. My main hobby and goal is to think of parts that do not exist and make them or modify existing parts. I currently own a 99 Softtail that I bolted together, a 78 Triumph bobber that i built from the ground up, a 75 CB360 cafe, and a 76 Kawasaki KH500 that needs a lot of work. I joined the original forum about 8 years ago and I'm glad to see it up and running again!

Post by kheaton »

It cleaned up no problem. I found the reason it was so cheap is because it is definitely a CM profile. I was told that in the early 70's Harley made wheels that could only use a specific type of Goodyear tire (the CM) profile. If I mount a WM, TL, or MT type tire to it the wheel will spin on the tire under heavy braking or acceleration. The correct type tires are of course no longer made.
yona
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Automotive weldor and fabricator for 45 years, like to dip in to both pools............make hand-tooled leather covered seats and bags.................jack of all trades........................63 years old......live in Baja Georgia, on the coast...former military

Post by yona »

Check with Coker Tire.... seen too many restored bikes , with them on .... they do a lot of the old profiles....
yona
Conventioneer

Post by yona »

Return to “Wheels, Tires, Sprockets, Belts, Chains and Brakes”