tube tires on mags

This is for posts and questions about the above subjects.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

tube tires on mags

Post by railroad bob »

I bought a used set of wheels for my FXLR. They are stock mags, 16 rear and 19 front.
I found some dual sport Kenda tires that will fit but they are tube type.
Do these tires need a tube even if they go on a mag?

My guess is yes, but not sure if they require a tube because they are for spoke wheels, or if it's the tire construction.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Re: tube tires on mags

Post by rudog »

I went thru the same thing. This is what I found.

Tube type tires use a tube as part of the support structure.

The inner surface of my mags had holes from the casting process. I filled them with rtv after chancing some air with only a rim strip. It cut the 1st tube. I still used the rim strip for the rough surface.
railroad bob
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi Dan, thanks for your time and energy spent on this new board. I hope you will give me a waiver on the email account, I have used gmail so long I don't have a clue what my service provider account is.
I just returned home from a 2 week trip in New Mexico, have a few good pix, can't wait to share my off-highway traveling. Got to put 1400 miles on the scoot.

Best, Bob Davidson

Post by railroad bob »

Thanks Rudy, just what I was looking for. If I use these purpose built tires, I won't need a regroover.
Alaska - Land of the Individual and Other Endangered Species
An Armed Society is a Polite Society,...
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
TANSTAAFL
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

I wasn't aware that Tires were made in Tube & non Tube.Tubes are nececary on Spoked Rims only because of the Spokes.The Rim still pops onto the Bead for a seal there.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
rudog
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Jack of all. Master of none. Worked in a machine shop since I was 8. Desgined embedded computers for a few years. Done lots in between. If there's anything I've learned with certainty, "Anyone who looks like they know what they're doing is putting on an act."

Post by rudog »

I did a thread on JJ. Some info there if you can find it. The rest was random searching on mfg sites. Tube type tires are more flimsy than tubeless and use the tube to help strengthen the sidewall.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Post by Jeff L »

I'll certainly look for it.Still makes no sense to me how such a thin wall of Rubber would add any strength.Hopefully if I read some it will.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain

Return to “Wheels, Tires, Sprockets, Belts, Chains and Brakes”