Its about brakes.

This is for posts and questions about the above subjects.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Its about brakes.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Willy, Dusty Dave , Dan, or anyone currently building...

I have a question. Help me out pls.

I am disc and brake shopping, and my local scene is that they want to sell you pricey aftermarket setups.

Gary suggested a Fab Kevin package, and tho' they would work beautifully, money is a big factor, and I haven't ruled that out.

I don't want to install junk, but I,m looking at Willy' s install (The Front) and that would suit me just fine. (sportbike parts) ??

I would be putting a disc out back too.
Jim Sawyer
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 25,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it

Re: Its about brakes.

Post by Jim Sawyer »

Any swap meets near you?
I bought all My brakes & parts from Robs used harleyparts
http://www.robsusedharleyparts.com/photos/index.php
I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 71,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Thanks for the link, that's a good one. It helps to know the Parts I need.

Not too many swap meets. We have some used parts places available, but not near me.

You have any pics of your install?
Jim Sawyer
Lurker
SELF INTRODUCTION: I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 25,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it

Post by Jim Sawyer »

Yes, are you looking for front or rear brake pictures?

Something not right here, I can not figure how to attatch a picture the usual way that it works.
I first found the chopperbuilders handbook back in 2004. Thanks to the board, and all its members, I was able to build My bike, and have ridden it 71,000 miles. I learned a lot, made some friends, and had a great time building it
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

I put the pictures I want to post in Photobucket then cut and paste the IMG link right into the message. Seems to work on all boards I have anything to do with.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
Dusty-Dave
Conventioneer
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hi,
Been building and riding since the 60s. My last contest build made The Horse BC last year "Home Built Indian" and had a 40 Indian in the TCU section of the Horse BC the year before.
Iv'e answered to Dusty since 69
Thanks
Dusty

Post by Dusty-Dave »

Last time I put a disk on a Harley hub I called my friend that lives by a jap bike salvage and told him the disk size I wanted and met him for lunch the next day. He brought me a honda rear disc with caliper and master for $25. I machined a ledger (step to locate center) on the side that went to the wheel then transfer punched center marks for the bolt holes and bolted the disc on then clamped the caliper where it needed to be. Made a few cardboard templates then a real bracket out of 3/8" plate it took longer to get the master cylinder mounted and plumbed where it didn't show too much.
Dusty
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Jim Sawyer wrote:Yes, are you looking for front or rear brake pictures?
Just the rear, thanks .

I am looking for mounting ideas.

I know mine won't be the same as yours, but I do have the same frame as you.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Dusty-Dave wrote:Last time I put a disk on a Harley hub I called my friend that lives by a jap bike salvage and told him the disk size I wanted and met him for lunch the next day. He brought me a honda rear disc with caliper and master for $25. I machined a ledger (step to locate center) on the side that went to the wheel then transfer punched center marks for the bolt holes and bolted the disc on then clamped the caliper where it needed to be. Made a few cardboard templates then a real bracket out of 3/8" plate it took longer to get the master cylinder mounted and plumbed where it didn't show too much.
Thanks for the advice on the install.
I'll see what I can get , either HD or Metric.

None of this will be easy, but we'll see what works best.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

This is the plan for the back.

Or something like it.

Ever go to this site?

http://www.dbbp.com/

Amazing things here.
Jim Sawyer
Lurker

Post by Jim Sawyer »

I figured out how to atatch a pic
Attachments
2021.jpg
2021.jpg (64.39 KiB) Viewed 4513 times
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Good install pic.
Looks like the stock Harley setup with the mounting bracket and caliper.
What year and model is that from?
The flatbar welded to the lower leg helps hold it in position.
Thanks.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

I like the alternator setup.
DDALT.JPG
DDALT.JPG (93.42 KiB) Viewed 4508 times
Jim Sawyer
Lurker

Post by Jim Sawyer »

I am not sure what year the caliper is, It fits a 3/4" axle. I bought it from Robs used Harley parts.
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

Jim Sawyer wrote:I am not sure what year the caliper is, It fits a 3/4" axle. I bought it from Robs used Harley parts.
Thanks for the help.
friday
Tourist
SELF INTRODUCTION: from jockey journal via NZ . got a shovelhead and a early scout project , planning on a mild custom from ground up = NO cutting only minimising and poss hotting up , so not a butcher here nor a 100 pointer! cheers willy

Post by friday »

wiseguy on shovelhead , always uploads pics of his set up Jap front and back . he also sells brackets for 4 or 6 piston , but can always do your own

http://www.shovelhead.us/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Return to “Wheels, Tires, Sprockets, Belts, Chains and Brakes”