MC vs Automotive coils

Please use this area for post and questions about the mysteries of motorcycle wiring.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

MC vs Automotive coils

Post by Jeff L »

is there a difference? I have to run 6v coils for the electronic ignition I just picked up, is a coil a coil? I can get auto coils cheaper than mc coils.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain
hansgoudzwaard
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: I was on the last board as bonustoolkit. I have changed that to my given name.
I started a project build there " File and Fit." I paln to continue that when I go back home in Dec. 2011. I first joined the board when Gary W had it in the year 2005. That was the time I really gained an interest in building chops. I have a long way to go, compared to some here.

Re: MC vs Automotive coils

Post by hansgoudzwaard »

I googled that online, and some of the articles referred to this piece written in 1975.

http://www.eurospares.com/graphics/engi ... ilTest.pdf

I still need to read most of it, but it seems you can use car coils.
Jeff L
Contributor
SELF INTRODUCTION: Hey...I live in South Jersey (the Super Fund State) work as an Operating Engineer local825.Besides bikes I love to fish the surf.I have my current & seemingly endless project a BSA 750 Rocket3, a 72 Honda CB750,79 Kawasaki KZ1000, 48 Simplex, & a 62 Norton Atlas engine

Re: MC vs Automotive coils

Post by Jeff L »

Thanks man...interesting read. Seems that if I were still using the points system it would be an improvement. I'm gonna make a call to the co. that makes the ignition system I bought to see if the added voltage will damage it or not.
Changing the shape of the Earth...1 bucket at a time...IUOE local 825 top of the food chain

Return to “Electrical and Wiring”